How to handle low storage space issues for inSync storage?
Product edition: inSync On-Premise
inSync storage comprises of three components:
- Database (db)
- Database logs (db logs)
There is a minimum free space requirement for the disk on which the above components reside, as specified in the About storage section of inSync documentation. Before the free space goes below the minimum requirement specified, you need to ensure the free space is increased.
The db and db logs cannot be deleted to free up space as they contain metadata about the backed up data. However, we can reduce the size of the Data component by following the below steps.
Reduce the data component size
- Delete the user and device data which is not required anymore and free up some space: However, once the user or device is deleted the data can no longer be recovered. Additionally, if the purged users backed up data is also shared amongst other inSync users backed up data, the deletion would not necessarily free up space, as the data would still be present due to data deduplication coming into picture. The reduction in storage size if any, would only be visible once the storage compaction is completed. This process may take time depending upon the size of data being removed.
- Reduce the duration for retention policy: The backup retention policy defines the duration for which inSync retains the backup data in a storage. If we are retaining a large number of old backups, it is bound to consume more space, hence we can always alter the retention policy to suit our storage requirements. For more information on understanding retention policy, please refer What is Backup Rentention Policy?.
- Extend the volume on which the inSync components reside: If you have unallocated free space which can be confirmed by using the Windows Disk Management tool, you can extend the volume. Before performing this step, make sure the inSync server services have been stopped and manually disabled from the services console. For more information, see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771473(v=ws.11).aspx.
- Add additional data volumes: To increase the size of data component and if the inSync storage is of type bynamo, you can add more data volumes. For more information, see Manage data volumes on a file store.
- Move data, db and db logs components: You can also move the data, db, db logs components to a new physical storage or an existing drive with more free space. Please contact Druva technical support to assist you in moving the storage components.