Backups do not work on iOS devices
This article applies to:
- OS: iOS
- Product edition: inSync Client on iOS mobile devices
Scheduled and manual backups on iOS devices fail to complete if inSync App goes to background.
- The ongoing backup task is continued in a background thread when inSync App goes into the background on iOS devices.
- iOS allows inSync App to run for 180 seconds in the background thread. After 180 seconds, iOS kills the application forcefully.
- This is a the default behavior of iOS and there is no workaround to restart the backup until inSync App is brought to the foreground.
Enable device trace, so that:
- The inSync App on your device gets registered for "Significant-change-location".
- Device trace will trigger when the device location changes significantly and will wake up the inSync App for the next 180 seconds.
- With the callback, inSync App checks if it is time to back up and tries to connect with inSync Server to trigger a backup.
- The term "Significant" is not explicit in "Significant-change-location". iOS determines this at runtime.
- Callback may never come to the app if the device has not moved.