Disable or delete a specific Cloud App backup for a specific user from inSync Management Console
inSync provides the capability to backup Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace Cloud Apps, which enables the backup of Exchange Online and OneDrive as part of Microsoft 365 backup and Gmail and Google Drive as part of Google Workspace backup.
This article covers the mechanism to address the following scenarios.
Some users might be using a specific part of a Cloud App. For example, some of your Microsoft 365 users might be using Exchange Online only and not OneDrive or vice-versa.
Similarly, some of your Google Workspace users might be using Gmail only and not Google Drive or vice-versa.
In such a scenario, the following workflow is applicable:
Administrators create an inSync profile, which covers the backup of both the Cloud Apps - Exchange and OneDrive as well as Gmail and Google Drive.
Users are then added to this profile.
inSync creates a corresponding Cloud App backup container in inSync for both Exchange Online and OneDrive as well as Gmail and Google Drive.
Now, let's assume the users are not using one of the Cloud Apps, such as OneDrive. As inSync is not able to find the OneDrive settings for that user in Microsoft 365, it generates an 'EUSERNOTFOUND' error.
To address this issue, administrators might prefer to bifurcate such users and only back up the Cloud App, which users are found to be using.
Scenario 2 covers the following workflow:
A user was previously using both the Cloud Apps - Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace. This usage includes Exchange Online and OneDrive as part of Microsoft 365 as well as Gmail and Google Drive as part of Google Workspace.
Now, the user, as well as the inSync administrator, no longer require the backup for one of these Cloud Apps.
As a next step, the administrator deletes the unused Cloud App from the inSync Management Console. However, in the next auto-synchronization cycle, inSync recreates the Cloud App container for that user.
inSync creates a Cloud App container to back up the user's corresponding Cloud App as per the settings defined in the user's inSync Profile.
The profile management of these users can help address these scenarios.
This section explains how you can configure profiles for users to back up a specific Cloud App for a specific user or multiple Cloud Apps for the same user.
The following procedure covers the steps for a Microsoft 365 user using Exchange Online and OneDrive. The steps are similar for a Google Workspace user using Gmail and Google Drive.
- On the inSync Management Console, click Profiles and click Create New Profile. Create three separate profiles to perform the backup for the following requirements:
- Exchange Online Backup
- OneDrive Backup
- Exchange Online and OneDrive Backup
2. Select Exchange Online profile and in the Cloud Apps tab, click Edit.
3. On the Backup Cloud Apps tab, click Microsoft 365.
4. Select Exchange Online with required settings to enable backup for Exchange Online only.
5. Click Save.
6. Select OneDrive profile and in the Cloud Apps tab, click Edit.
7. On the Backup Cloud Apps tab, click Microsoft 365.
8. Select OneDrive with required settings to enable backup for OneDrive only.
9. Click Save.
10. Select Exchange Online and OneDrive profile and in the Cloud Apps tab, click Edit.
11. On the Backup Cloud Apps tab, click Microsoft 365.
12. Select Exchange Online and OneDrive with required settings to enable backup for both Exchange Online and OneDrive respectively.
13. Click Save.
14. As per the backup requirements, add users to the corresponding profile. You can add users to profiles individually or import users from a CSV file.
15. If users are no longer using either Exchange Online or OneDrive, move them to a corresponding profile. Click Users from the inSync Management Console menu bar.
16. Select the users from the list. Click More and select Change Profile to move users to a different profile.
Note: If the Admin access to user data setting from the Profile settings for these users is set to No, then you cannot change the profile. By default, this option is always set to Yes. Learn more.
17. Once the users are added to the correct profiles as per the backup requirements, you can disable or delete the unused Cloud App backup. Navigate to the inSync Management Console > Data Sources > Microsoft 365 and select Exchange Online or OneDrive.
Note: Deletion of the Cloud Apps is considered as a permanent deletion. Once you delete the Cloud App from the inSync Management Console, the data backed up for the Cloud App is deleted permanently and is not recoverable. Choose your options carefully.
Disabled access to user data
The following pointers are applicable if the administrator access to the user data is set to No.
You cannot move the users from the current profile to a new profile.
If you delete a Cloud App backup instead of disabling it from the current profile settings, inSync re-creates it in the next auto-synchronization cycle.
If the users are not using a specific Cloud App, then disable the unused Cloud App backup for those users. Once you disable it, inSync no longer attempts any backup for these Cloud Apps. As a result, you will not get any false alerts or notifications.
For more information about profile creation and backup settings, refer to the following resources: