The backup retention policy defines the duration when inSync retains the backup data in a storage. You can restore this data later. To ensure that backup data is available for restore, you must define a retention policy for your inSync setup. After every backup, inSync saves a snapshot of the backup data to a storage. A snapshot is a point in time image of backup folders. It represents the state of the backup folders at the time of backup. The number of snapshots retained in a storage depends on the number of backups completed and the retention policy.
SharePoint Online backups are classified into the following three types:
- (Regular) Backup: This is the backup that occurs according to the default backup interval or the interval that you have specified for that site. For example, if the backup interval is 8 hours, inSync should create three snapshots every day.
- Weekly backup: Sunday through Saturday is considered as a week in inSync. The last successful backup of the week from a site is tagged as a weekly backup in inSync.
- Monthly backup: This is the oldest successful weekly backup of the calendar month. inSync follows the Gregorian calendar.
Change the data retention policy for a SharePoint site
- On the inSync Management Console menu bar, click the icon to access the global navigation panel.
- Click SaaS Apps.
- Click Microsoft 365. An overview page that provides a holistic view of all the configured Microsoft 365 app appears.
- On the left-hand panel, click SharePoint.
- Click the site name for which you want to configure the data retention.
- In the Site Settings section, click Edit.
- In the Backup & Retention section, for Settings select Custom and provide the appropriate information for each field.
|Retain daily data backups for||
Type the number of days that you want to retain all backups.
At the end of the backup period, inSync will delete the data from the storage.
For example, if you specify that you want to retain all backups for 5 days and inSync completed the backup operation on January 6, 2017, inSync will delete the backup data from the storage on January 11, 2017.
|Retain weekly data backups for||
Type the number of weeks that you want to retain all backups.
At the end of the weekly backup period, inSync deletes the data from the storage.
Note: The weekly backup is the last backup in a calendar week. The calendar week starts on Sunday.
|Retain monthly data backups for||
Type the number of months that you want to retain all backups.
At the end of the monthly backup period, inSync deletes the data from the storage.
Note: The monthly backup is the last backup in a calendar month.
For the default data retention settings for Sharepoint Sites, see Auto configuration of SharePoint sites.