This article applies to:
- OS: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- Product edition: All versions of inSync Client
While performing a re-installation or an upgrade of inSync Client to a higher version, the installer may display the following error:
The older versions of Druva InSync 5.x cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.
The error is displayed as the device registry continues to hold the registry key of an older inSync Client version.
- Download and run the fix provided by Microsoft on the affected machine. Download the patch from the link: Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed.
- Retry installing inSync Client. If the installer continues to show the error, perform the next steps.
- Check the Event ID 2002 in the Application Log on the affected device.
Log Name: Application
Date: 2/13/2017 4:13:42 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: None
Unexpected or missing value (name: 'PackageName', value: '') in key 'HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\953F652ED01xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\SourceList'
Druva inSync 5.9 -- Error 1714. The older version of Druva inSync 5.9 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1610.
- Note the registry key shown in the event.
- Launch the Windows registry from the device.
- Back up the registry using the File > Export menu.
- Find the registry corresponding to the event ID 2002 (noted from the application log) and delete the key:
Note: The GUID is different for every version of inSync Client. Hence, you must search with the key value found in Event 2002.
- Close the registry and again try to install the latest inSync Client version.