Using inSync, you can allow users to backup emails from MS Outlook installed on their Windows laptop. By default, inSync uses Optimized PST backup when backing up data from MS Outlook. Yet, issues with MS Outlook itself, for example, corrupt email attachments, can hinder the backup experience. This topic describes how you can bypass issues with MS Outlook backup and ensure that inSync completes backups from user laptops successfully.
Bypassing Outlook sync errors
Corrupt email data inside MS Outlook has the following effect on backups from user laptops:
- Optimized PST backups from user laptops fail.
- Backups take a long time to complete.
- Completed backups are listed under Backed up with Errors on the Backup Overview page on the inSync Admin Console.
To improve backup experience for users, you can bypass Outlook sync errors during backups. If you allow the bypass, inSync will not backup the corrupt email data from MS Outlook. Backups will complete quickly and completed backups will be listed under Backed up Successfully on the Backup Overview page on the inSync Admin Console.
Note: Bypassing Outlook sync errors during Optimized PST backups improves end-user experience with backups. However, it prevents you and the end-user from knowing if there were any issues while backing up the emails. As inSync will not backup any corrupt email data, users will not be able to restore those files later.
Procedure to bypass Outlook sync errors
To bypass Outlook sync errors
- Stop inSync Master services.
- Backup the inSyncServer.cfg file. The file is available in the following folder:
- Windows: C:\ProgramData\Druva\inSyncCloud\inSyncServer4\inSyncServer.cfg
- Linux: /etc/inSyncCloud/inSyncServer/inSyncServer.cfg
- Open the inSyncServer.cfg file in a text editor.
- Set the value of REPORT_OUTLOOKSYNC_ERRORS to False.
- Start the inSync Master services.