Troubleshoot restore failure due to offline user
This article applies to:
- OS: Windows
- Product edition: inSync Cloud and On-Premises
The restore operation starts but fails shortly when:
- A user initiates a restore from inSync Client.
- An inSync Administrator initiates a restore from the inSync Management Console
This failure is also observed during restore of backup share as well as restore of system and application settings.
When a restore is triggered either from inSync Client or from inSync Management Console:
- A restore request is generated.
- The inSync Client machine receives the restore request and the process to handle this operation on the client is called as inSync.exe.
- If the restore request is for configured backup shares, the restore process is handed over to inSyncUSyncer.exe.
- If the request is to restore the System and App settings, the request is routed through inSync.exe.
- The Server/Cloud also fetches the selected data for restore from the storage.
Note: During this operation, the restore request remains in a Queued state.
- After a while, the actual restore begins.
The inSync Client user has not logged on to the system.
The issue may occur when a configured backup share is restored. Such restores are handled by inSyncUSyncer.exe. Since inSyncUSyncer.exe process runs under User context and the user is not logged in, the process cannot be spawned.
The user must log on to the system. This will spawn the required process and restore must begin.