As a cloud administrator, you can configure inSync to integrate with Google Workspace Basic. With Google Workspace integration, you can govern the user data that is on Gmail and Google Drive.
inSync maps the email address of users to their Google Workspace account.
inSync uses either of the following information to map the users to their Google Workspace account
- Email address of inSync users
- User Principal Name (UPN) from a configured Active Directory.
To configure the user account access settings, see Configure user account access settings.
The Google Workspace backup data is considered as part of the organization's overall quota, and not as a part of the user's individual quota. For more information about organization's quota and user's quota, see Assign user quota for data backup.
What Google Workspace data can you back up and restore?
After inSync integrates with Google Workspace, you can start the backup which includes the following components. Other components such as Google Forms and Google Sites are excluded from the backup.
- Gmail contents:
- Emails along with the attachments
- Calendar events along with links to the attachments
Note: All Google Calendar attachments are saved in the user's Google Drive account. While backing up Google Calendar, inSync backs up the link to the attachment where it is stored on the Google Drive.
- Metadata attributes:
- Email – To, From, Cc, Bcc, Subject, Sent On, Received On
- Attachment – Name, Size
- Time Stamp - Created, Modified, Received, Sent
- Google Drive contents:
- Files and folders that are owned by the user or that are shared with the user with download permission.
- Shared Drives
- Trash data
- Metadata attributes:
- Created Date
- Modified Date
- File Size
- Original Filename
- Last Modifying User
For more information, see How to retrieve metadata attributes of Google Workspace?
Prerequisites for backing up and restoring Google Workspace data
In addition to the prerequisites for backing up cloud apps data, ensure that you have the following:
- You have configured inSync to integrate with Google Workspace. For more information, see How to configure inSync with Google Workspace?
How to backup and restore Google Workspace data?
inSyn cloud administrators can back up and restore Google Workspace data.
To backup and restore Google Workspace data:
- Configure inSync to integrate with your Google Workspace administrator account.
- Backup Google Workspace data by creating a profile or updating an existing profile.
- Restore Google Workspace data on the user's desktop or a custom location of your choice.
You can then perform the following tasks:
- Download the Google Workspace data to your computer.
- Retrieve Google Workspace metadata attributes by specifying additional settings in your WebDAV client.
- Enable eDiscovery for Google Workspace data by placing the user on legal hold, and viewing the Google Workspace legal hold data through WebDAV.
For information about troubleshooting issues related to Google Workspace data, see Troubleshooting Cloud Apps issues.