If you become aware of any malicious or sensitive file or email in your organization, you can use the Federated Search capability to find such files and emails. Then delete the infected data from the data source or from both, data source and snapshot. Deletion is useful when you want to prevent exposure of a sensitive file or email and remove all its occurrences from the data source and storage.
- File and email deletion is available by default for customers with Sensitive Data Governance Add-On service.
- For Federated Search, inSync only deletes the files and emails that are displayed in the search results.
- You cannot delete files or emails of a user who is on Legal Hold.
- If you delete a file or email from Federated Search that was listed as a violation in Compliance, then the violation gets auto-resolved.
- You cannot delete files or emails from snapshots if Data Lock is enabled. In such a scenario, an administrator can delete the data only from the data sources from where it is backed up.
When you trigger a delete action, inSync creates an entry in the admin audit trail that contains details of the action.
On successful deletion, inSync creates another audit trail entry that contains details such as the time when the activity was completed, data source name, and so on.
If inSync is unable to delete the selected files or emails, inSync creates an entry in the admin audit trail listing why it was unable to delete the file or email. inSync creates separate audit trail entries for failure to delete from snapshot and failure to delete from the data source.
You cannot undo a file or email delete action.
Support matrix for defensible deletion of files
|Location of the files
|Is Deletion Possible
Files in Endpoints with Windows OS, and Mac OS
File deletion is supported only with inSync Client v5.9.5 or higher.
|Files in Endpoints with Linux OS
|Files in Smartphones and Tablets
Cloud Apps - Files in One Drive, Box, Google Drive
Cloud Apps - Files in SharePoint Online
|Cloud Apps - Files in Shared Drives
Support matrix for defensible deletion of emails
|Location of the emails
|Is deletion possible
Emails in Gmail and Exchange Online
For Exchange Online users, you cannot delete emails residing in the Recoverable Items folder and In-Place Archive mailbox of a user.
How to delete files and emails
- File deletion for Federated Search and Sensitive Data Governance is supported only if:
- You have inSync Client version 5.5r33964 or above
- The checksum for a given file is available in the storage. You can find the checksum value in storage only if:
- At the time of file backup, you had a Druva license equivalent to Elite or above
- The file backup was done with inSync Client 5.5r33964 or above
You can delete files and emails using the following options:
- From Sensitive Data Governance: Go to the Sensitive Data Governance page. Click File Violations or Email Violations on the left pane. Select the violation that you want to delete and click Resolve and select Delete from the drop-down list. For more information, see How do I resolve a compliance violation?
- Using Federated Search: Go to the Federated Search page and search for the files or emails that you want to delete. Select the file or email and click Delete. For more information, see Delete Files and Delete Emails.