Businesses that are using the AWS cloud for their data backups need faster and reliable disaster recovery of their critical IT systems without incurring the infrastructure expense of a second physical site. Disaster recovery is needed to protect and recover data in the cases of user errors, operational mishaps, malicious and insider threats, and site outages. Druva CloudRanger, which is designed natively for AWS cloud, enables organizations to easily tag resources in any AWS region to be auto-discovered for disaster recovery. It enables you to create cross-region customized disaster recovery plans based on the business SLAs and environments, easily clone VPCs and their dependents such as subnets, security groups, and route tables from your source region to the target region. To know more about why you need an AWS cross-region disaster recovery plan, check this video on CloudRanger's disaster recovery solution.
With disaster recovery, you can validate RTO and RPO objectives through the actual execution of an end-to-end process. This feature ensures business continuity without the need for additional dedicated software, storage or hardware, which in turn ensures a significant reduction in cost and improvement in agility.
You can also test for disaster recovery to ensure that all backup processes are working correctly and the result is well tested and fit for disaster recovery capability. Based on the results of testing, you can increase the resource capacity or select a lower activity destination to reduce RTO and increase backup frequency to reduce the RPO.
- Create automated DR plans: Create automated Disaster Recovery Plans (DRP) based on your source region AMIs.
- Restore AMIs to additional AWS regions: Automatically restore AMIs to another AWS region in the case of a disaster situation.
- Validate RTO and RPO: Restore business continuity in a disaster situation and validate your RTO and RPO.
- Clone VPCs with one click: Clone your environment with restore mappings based on regions, subnets, and VPCs.
- Perform Automated Disaster Recovery testing: Select the frequency that you want to automate restoring and retention of servers.
- Recover data at the file level: Launch a temporary EC2 instance for any period of time while you recover lost individual files.
The architecture of the Druva CloudRanger's disaster recovery solution:
As part of the backup policy, an AMI is created in the primary region where the EC2 instance is located. AMIs also include snapshots of the underlying volumes of the instances. The AMI and the snapshots are copied to the secondary region based on the backup policies.
For disaster recovery, the corresponding AMIs are identified in the target region for the instances selected in the source region. When a DR plan is executed, new instances are created in the target region from the AMIs.
To learn more about Automated Disaster Recovery in Druva CloudRanger, see Automated Disaster Recovery Workflow.
- DR is available as an independent service that can be licensed separately.
- Current licensing plans for the Freemium, Business, Enterprise, Elite editions of CloudRanger are as follows:
|Freemium||Enterprise edition||Elite edition|
Supported AWS regions for DR
All the AWS regions are supported for DR, except China and GovCloud.