If you want to backup virtual machines at a given point in time, you can trigger a manual backup on a virtual machine. After the manual backup is complete, the next backup happens as per the schedule defined in the backup policy.
- A manual backup is not restricted by the backup window that you defined in the backup policy; it continues till all the data is backed up.
- If you restart or reboot your virtual machines during backups, the backup operation is aborted. Hybrid Workloads agents or backup proxy start a fresh backup following the backup schedule. Alternatively, you can start a manual backup at any time.
- A manual backup is not restricted by bandwidth, it uses maximum bandwidth available.
- The Automatic Retry feature does not work with manual backups.
To manually backup a virtual machine
- Log in to the Management Console.
- Under Services > Hybrid Workloads Phoenix, click VMware.
- Select your organization if organizations are enabled .
- The All vCenter/ESXi host page appears that lists all the registered vCenter/hypervisors.
- You can either select the registered vCenter/ESXi host from the card view or list view or select it from the vCenter/ESXi host list in the left navigation pane.
- In the left navigation pane, click Configured VMs.
- Select the virtual machine(s) you want to backup.
- Click Backup Now and confirm your action.
Backup of the selected virtual machines start. You can track the progress and details about the backup job in progress on the VMware jobs page.