As a Phoenix administrator, you can delete a virtual machine from Phoenix. You can delete a virtual machine only after 7 days of the deletion of the last configured virtual machine. With delete, the virtual machine will be in the unconfigured state and will not be displayed on the Configured VMs page. If you are a cloud administrator, you can delete any virtual machine. If you are a group administrator, you can delete a virtual machine that belongs to the server group that you manage.
You might want to delete virtual machines in the following scenarios:
- You configured virtual machines during evaluation, and you now want to reclaim the storage consumed.
- You are planning to deprecate virtual machines, and you no longer need to keep data.
- You are planning to replace virtual machines, and a backup of the replacement virtual machines might consume additional storage for the same data.
- You no longer want to backup a virtual machine.
- You migrated a virtual machine to a different VMware ESXi or vCenter Server that is not configured for backup.
After you delete a virtual machine, Phoenix purges the backup data of that virtual machine. The time required for purging data after deleting a virtual machine depends on the size of data that was backed up. For large-sized datasets, Phoenix might take longer to complete a purge operation.
Note: When a virtual machine configured for backup is deleted from the VMware environment, the first backup job after the virtual machine deletion fails. However, the virtual machine is disabled from backup to avoid subsequent job failures. The virtual machine disabled for backup will be still available for restore.
To delete a virtual machine
- Log in to the Phoenix Management Console.
- Under Product & Services > Phoenix, click VMware.
- Select your organization.
- The vCenter/ESXi host page appears that lists all the registered vCenter/hypervisors.
- You can either select the registered vCenter from the list or select it from the vCenter/ESXi host list in the left navigation pane.
- In the navigation pane, click Configured VMs.
- Click on the virtual machine you want to delete.
- Click the more options button and click Delete.
- Confirm your action.
When you add a deleted virtual machine back, you just need to enable it for backup.