Microsoft 365 app: General issues
To know about the general Microsoft 365 issues, see Troubleshooting Microsoft 365 issues.
Exchange Online issues
Issue: Exchange Online backup failing for users
Exchange Online backups failing for users after 10 days of account configuration. When backups fail, the administrator receives an email with the subject "Cloud App status alert" with the following message:
Microsoft 365 is not connected. Please re-configure Microsoft 365.
While creating an account for global administrators on Microsoft 365, the StsRefreshTokensValidFrom attribute was not set by the APIs of the third party SSO tool.
- Install the Azure module using the link:
- Download the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant for IT Professionals RTW from the Microsoft Download Center and then install it.
- Download the Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell (64-bit version) installer package and then click Run to run it.
- Connect to Azure AD:
Run the cmdlet connect-msolservice command on the Windows PowerShell command prompt. You will then be prompted for your credentials. Enter your Azure AD (Global admin) credentials.
- Get StsRefreshTokensValidFrom attribute value of the global admin using the following command:
$user = Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName email@example.com
where Ernie Carter is the global admin who is configuring the Microsoft 365 app
- The following command will set the current time as the value of the StsRefreshTokensValidFrom attribute for the global admin. Steps to set this value:
$dt = Get-Date
Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName firstname.lastname@example.org -StsRefreshTokensValidFrom
- Run step 3 again. This time you should see the current time (set in step 4). This is a verification step.
- Re-configure inSync with Microsoft 365 using the steps mentioned in the Configure inSync with Microsoft 365 topic.
Issue: Outlook backup errors
You may receive the following errors in case of outlook backup.
- “Outlook Sync completed with errors”
- “Finished backup with errors: Errors observed during Outlook Backup."
- “Outlook Sync failed: can't connect to GUI.”
The following errors may appear in the inSync Client logs. To know the locations of the logs for a different version on a different platform, click here.
Error: -2147221219,'OLE error 0x8004011d
Error Opening store failed: (-2147221219,'OLE error 0x8004011d', None, None), skipping
This error is caused by stale outlook profiles. Remove the stale profiles and initiate at a backup.
Error:-2147221233, 'OLE error 0x8004010f
[2016-06- 30 10:08:40,572] [ERROR] Error (-2147221233, 'OLE error 0x8004010f',None, None), processing email – ‘Abcpro Rollout'
This error is caused when inSync is not able to back up the attachment on the emails. The attachments may be encrypted, corrupted, or password protected.
Error: (-2147467259, 'Unspecified error' / Outlook is not configured
[2016-04- 05 14:13:37,161] [ERROR] MAPIInit failed with (-2147467259,'Unspecified error', None, None)
[2016-04- 05 14:13:37,161] [ERROR] pstlist got error Outlook is not configured.
The above error occurs when outlook is not configured as default email client. This happens in case of MAPI backup.
Following steps will set Outlook as your default mail program.
- On the Tools menu in Office Outlook, click Options, and then click the other tab.
- Under General, select the Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar check box.
To verify whether Outlook is the default email client:
- Set Outlook as your default email client
- Open Control Panel and search for Default Programs.
- Select Set Default Programs link.
- Choose Microsoft Outlook from the list of programs.
- Click "Set this program as default".
Error: -2147219968, 'OLE error 0x80040600'
[2016-03- 20 15:50:24,302] [ERROR] Error (-2147219968, 'OLE error 0x80040600', None, None), processing email - 'FW: abc edf ghi Project - Agenda for today'
[2016-03- 20 15:50:24,302] [ERROR] Error <class 'pywintypes.com_error'>:(-
2147219968, 'OLE error 0x80040600', None, None). Traceback -Traceback (most recent call last):
File "inSyncMAPI\inSyncExtMsgs.pyc", line 291, in syncfolder
File "inSyncMAPI\inSyncExtMsgs.pyc", line 340, in _processmsg
File "inSyncMAPI\inSyncMAPIDrv.pyc", line 871, in getattr
File "inSyncMAPI\inSyncMAPIDrv.pyc", line 504, in getFields
com_error: (-2147219968, 'OLE error 0x80040600', None, None)
This indicates that inSync could not process the emails mentioned in the traceback.
'FW: abc edf ghi Project - Agenda for today'
Verify that the emails and attachments are accessible, or the attachments are inline attachments.
Error: Outlook Sync failed: can't connect to GUI.
[2016-02- 11 18:42:55,822] [INFO] Synchronizing ... Outlook Advanced
[2016-02- 11 18:42:55,835] [ERROR] Error <type 'exceptions.Exception'>:can't
connect to GUI. Traceback -Traceback (most recent call last):
File "inSyncLib\inSyncSyncer.pyc", line 3521, in syncmapi
Exception: can't connect to GUI
[2016-02- 11 18:42:55,836] [WARNING] Outlook Sync failed: can't connect to GUI
Ensure that the User is logged in to Windows and Outlook at the time of backup. In addition, check if the inSyncUSyncer.exe process is running on the same user who is logged into the machine and has activated inSync Client.
The error can also occur if Outlook was not open on the machine when the backup was running.
This information is applicable to all the supported client OS.