You can replace a device with another device that has the inSync Client installed on it. After you replace a device, the inSync Client backs up data from the new device and the snapshots from your previous device are associated with your new device. You can restore any snapshot from your previous device on your current device. For more information, see Restore data by using the inSync Client.
For example, if you have a Windows 8 laptop on which you have installed an inSync Client and your organization assigns another Windows 8 laptop to you, but you do not want multiple devices linked to your Druva inSync account, then you can replace your existing Windows 8 laptop with your new Windows 8 laptop. Therefore, you can have only one device linked to your Druva inSync account.
If both devices have the same operating system, you can restore the following data on the new device:
- Backup data: You can restore data from the backup folders of the device that you are replacing.
- System Application & Settings: You can restore system and application settings from one of the devices already linked to your account. On a Windows laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Windows laptop. Similarly, on a Mac laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Mac laptop. See, Restore system settings.
Before you begin
Before you replace a device linked to your Druva inSync account, ensure the following:
- You have your Druva inSync account activation email handy for the Server URL details.
- You have the password for your Druva inSync account.
- If this is the first device on which you are activating Druva inSync, use the password that is included in the activation email.
- If you are using your Active Directory credentials to activate Druva inSync, then use your Active Directory password.
- If you are using your single sign-on credentials to activate the inSync Client, then leave the Password box empty.
- You are logged on to your new device using your own credentials.
- You have the proxy server details. You require proxy server details only if the inSync Client has to contact the Druva inSync Server through a proxy server.
To replace a device linked to your Druva inSync account
- Install the inSync Client. For more information, see Install the inSync Client.
- Double-click Druva inSync icon. The Activate Backup window appears.
- Select the appropriate Druva inSync edition from the Backup Cloud drop-down box.
Note: If you want to know the Druva inSync edition that your organization is using, contact your administrator.
- Enter your email, and click Continue.
- If you use Single Sign-On (SSO) activation, the login page of your SSO provider is displayed.
- If you use manual activation, the Password field is displayed.
Note: For more information on activation of inSync Client and troubleshoot any errors during activation, see Activate the inSync Client on your device.
- Enter the required information and click Continue.
As you already have an existing device configured for backup, Druva inSync displays the Add as New Device and Replace an Existing Device options window.
- Click Replace an Existing Device.
Note: If the same device name already exists, Druva inSync displays a Device with the same name is already configured message and prompts you to replace your device. In such case, click Replace to replace the existing device with the current device. Proceed to step 9.
- Select the device that you want to replace in the Select Device to Replace window.
- Click Replace.
- In the Ready for Backup window, do any one of the following:
- To restore existing data to your current device click Restore Now.
- To start backing up data from your current device right away click Maybe Later.
The Ready for Backup window is displayed only when you are configuring the new device on the same operating system where an existing device is configured.
- In the Data to restore section, complete the following:
- To restore all backed up data, select the Backup Data check box.
- To restore system and application settings, select the System Application & Settings check box. This check box appears only if your administrator has enabled system and application settings for you. You must restart your device after your system and application settings are restored.
- Click Restore.
After the restore operation completes successfully, Druva inSync displays the amount of data restored and the count of files whose restoration failed, in the Restore Complete window. Click the Files not Restored link to view a detailed report of the files whose restoration failed. The report is saved in a *.txt format and contains details about the files whose restoration failed along with the file path for each file.
- Click Done.
Druva inSync starts backing up your data.