This FAQs topic contains the following sections:
- ► When should I use the Snowball Edge device?
- You can use the Snowball Edge device to transfer large backups in terabytes from the physical servers, virtual machines, and NAS shares to the Cloud in a bandwidth-compromised environment.
- ► What workloads does Druva back up with the Snowball Edge device?
- By leveraging the elasticity and scale-out capabilities provided by the Cloud, Druva enables organizations to centralize the data protection and management for enterprise workloads, including file servers, NAS shares, VMware and Hyper-V virtual machines. However, Druva does not support this service to back up data from SQL servers and Oracle databases.
- ► Can I order the Snowball Edge device in my region?
You can order the Snowball Edge device only in the regions where,
- Druva supports AWS, and
- AWS supports the Snowball Edge service.
For example, if Snowball Edge is supported in the UK but if Druva does not support the UK datacenter, then you cannot order a Snowball Edge device in the UK region.
- ► Can I use the same Snowball Edge device to back up data from servers across multiple organizations?
- One Snowball Edge device can be used for backing up data from only one organization. You can use the Snowball Edge device for seeding at your organization where the Snowball Edge device is originally shipped. AWS strictly prohibits the movement of the same device across organizations.
- ► What are the specifications of the Snowball Edge?
- By default, a single 100 TB Snowball Edge device has approximately 80 TB of usable storage. For more details, see AWS Snowball Edge Specifications.
- ► How can I order the Snowball Edge device?
- You can place a request for the Snowball Edge device from the Management Console. For more information, see Order a Snowball Edge device.
- ► What are the security measures taken to prevent any data leakage?
- To avoid any data leakage during the transit, Druva encrypts and compresses the data in the Snowball Edge using a customer key.
- ► How do I set up the device when the Snowball Edge device arrives at my datacenter?
You can place a request for the Snowball Edge device from the Management Console. For more information, see Order a Snowball Edge device.
- ► How do I calculate storage source reduction factor for my storage?
After the Snowball Edge device arrives at your datacenter, you can set up the device as follows:
- Install the Snowball Client on the resource that you want to connect to the Snowball Edge device.
- Connect the Snowball Edge device to your internal network and turn the device on.
- Unlock the Snowball Edge device using the manifest file and unlock code provided by Druva.
- Activate the Snowball Edge device.
- Configure backup sets.
For more information, see Set up a Snowball Edge device.
- ► Why do I need to specify an AWS storage region?
- When you order a Snowball Edge device, Druva requires you to specify the target storage region for backing up your data. AWS processes the Snowball Edge based on the specified storage region and imports data to the intended storage region in the Cloud.
- ► How much data can I transfer using Snowball Edge?
- You can transfer up to 80 TB deduped data with a single Snowball Edge device. Depending on the source data size, you can request the desired number of the Snowball Edge devices.
- ► How do I back up my data to the Snowball Edge device?
- You can back up the data to the Snowball Edge device as follows: set up the Snowball device in your data center, configure the Snowball device, attach backup sets to back up the data, and trigger/schedule the backup job. For details, see Back up data using Snowball Edge.
- ► How long does the complete process of backing up my data using Snowball Edge take?
- The backup process depends on the workload type of data you want to back up, the data size, and the network speed.
- ► How can I find out more about the pricing details?
- Ordering a Snowball Edge device is a service that is charged separately and is not a part of the standard Druva subscription. Contact the Sales team for more details.
- ► What happens once the snowball edge gets shipped back to AWS? Is there any associated cost?
- When you ship a Snowball Edge device to AWS, AWS imports the data to the Cloud. You are not charged for shipping data to AWS. Contact the Sales team for more details.