Search backed up data to download or restore
The availability of this feature may be limited based on the license type, region, and other criteria. To access this feature, contact your Druva Account Manager or Druva Support.
Using the Search capability, administrators can quickly find end-user files, folders, and emails that are backed up by inSync. Search enables you to search for a particular file, folder, or email that you want to restore or download without having to browse through all of them. inSync uses the metadata attributes of files, folders and emails to deliver fast and accurate search results.
Using Search, administrators can:
- Search for files, folders, and emails backed up by inSync.
- Download desired files, folders, and emails from the search results.
- Restore files, folders, and emails from the search results to the original location or custom location.
Note: Enterprise customers can use the metadata capabilities of Search during data restore only when they have SaaS Apps license enabled.
Search Files and Folders
Using Search you can search for files and folders backed up by inSync across all data sources (endpoints and SaaS Apps) for all users using:
- File name
- SHA1 hash value. Folders do not have hash values.
You can use a combination of operators like AND, OR, () and apply filters like, file types and file modification time to narrow down your search results.
- You cannot search for folders in Sharepoint for Microsoft 365.
- No filters are available for searching folders.
- Search for filenames with special characters is not supported.
For file search, the following filters are available:
- File type: Specify a particular file type that you want to search. The file type should be in the following format:
.<file type>For example, if you want to search “New joinees.docx”, then in the search box enter “new joinees” and enter “.docx” in this field. Then inSync will search only *.docx files.
- Modified between: Specify a date range. When you define a date range, inSync will search files that were modified in the specified date range. For example, when you enter 3 March in the From field and 8 April in the To field, inSync searches files modified between 3 March, 12:00 am to 8 April 11:59 pm.
- File Size: Specify a file size. When you specify file size in either the From field or To field, inSync will search files in that file size range. For example, when you enter 1 MB in the From field, inSync will fetch files that are greater than equal to 1 MB in size.
- Time Created: Specify a date range. When you specify created time date in either the From field or To field, inSync will search files created in that date range. For example, when you enter October 01, 2021, inSync will fetch files created after this date.
When you search, inSync shows you a list of files that match your search query along with the following details:
- Name of the file.
- Date when the file was last modified.
- Size of the file.
You can download or restore single or multiple files from the search results using the Download and Restore options.
If your file has multiple versions in the backed-up data, you can restore or download a specific version of a file. For more information, see Restore specific version of a file.
Searching files by checksums
inSync allows you to search for files using SHA1 checksums. Checksums can be generated using command line or third-party tools.
For Linux OS, use the following command to generate SHA1 checksum:
For Mac OS, use the following command to generate SHA1 checksum:
For Windows OS, you can generate SHA1 checksums by using third-party tools such as the Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier. Refer the documentation of the third party tool you are using for more information on how to generate checksum for a file in Windows OS.
To search files using checksum, enter the checksum of the file in the search box in the following format:
Similar to searching files, you can search for emails backed up by inSync across email services (Gmail, Exchange Online) using the following:
- Email subject
- Attachment name
Note: You cannot search MAPI emails from the Restore window. You can search MAPI emails only using the Email Search feature in Governance > Federated Search.
You can use a combination of operators like AND, OR, () and apply filters like recipient's name, sender’s name, emails within a particular date range and other filters to narrow down your search results. For email search, the following filters are available:
- Email(s) with attachment only: Select this check box if you want to search emails that contain only attachments.
- From: Search emails from a particular sender.
- To/CC/BCC: Search emails that were sent to a specific recipient.
- Sent/Received Between: Search emails that were sent or received between a specific date range.
When you search, inSync shows a list of emails that match your search query along with the following details:
- Subject of the email.
- User who had sent the email.
- Date when the email was sent or received.
You can download or restore single or multiple emails from the search results in EML format using the Download and Restore options.