Phoenix CloudCache is a dedicated server that locally stores up to 30 days of backup data from Hybrid Workloads agents, and then periodically synchronizes this data to Druva Cloud.
Phoenix CloudCache is deployed within the perimeters of remote office locations. This ensures that Hybrid Workloads agents can locally connect to Phoenix CloudCache, thus accelerating backups and restores of local data. Moreover, administrators can schedule synchronization operations from Phoenix CloudCache to Druva Cloud during off-peak hours, thus ensuring an optimized utilization of WAN bandwidth.
Note: Even if you configure CloudCache in your local LAN environment, Hybrid Workloads agents require a WAN connection to connect with Druva Cloud during backup to CloudCache. Druva Phoenix uses this connection to synchronize the metadata with Druva Cloud while the data is backed up to CloudCache.
Why do we need a CloudCache
You can consider deploying Phoenix CloudCache if any of the following scenarios apply to your organization:
- You have a limited WAN bandwidth at your remote offices. In this case, the completion of the first backup might take a longer time over WAN due to the large volume of server data. For example, server replacements or server refreshes.
- You are backing up servers across all your existing and new remote offices for the first time.
- You want to reduce the downtime for mission-critical restores.
Below are the benefits of deploying Phoenix CloudCache in your Druva Phoenix setup.
- Optimized WAN bandwidth consumption: With Phoenix CloudCache, you do not have to worry about the availability of WAN bandwidth at your organization for the scheduled server backups. Administrators can schedule synchronization operations from Phoenix CloudCache to Druva Cloud during off-peak hours, thus ensuring an optimized utilization of WAN bandwidth.
- Reduced backup time: Hybrid Workloads agents can back up large volumes of data to Phoenix CloudCache through LAN, thus ensuring a significant reduction in the backup time while backing up servers.
- Faster restores: Data residing on Phoenix CloudCache can be restored during the predefined retention period. It also reduces the demand for WAN bandwidth.