With Druva Phoenix for Oracle, organizations can securely protect their Oracle databases to cloud without taking away the control from Oracle Database Administrators. The backup copy is optimized and deduplicated at the source to reduce the storage and network overload, and cost. Druva Phoenix is an Oracle recognized database backup solution provider. For more information, see Oracle Backup Solutions Program (BSP).
Druva Phoenix provides a robust solution that works with Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) to:
- Protect the Oracle RMAN backups on an NFS target on the Phoenix Backup Store
- Manage the Oracle Database backup lifecycle
Druva Phoenix Components
Druva Phoenix components for Oracle
The Druva Phoenix solution uses cloud-side and client-side components to interact, manage, and control backups in your infrastructure. The Druva Phoenix components are:
- Druva Cloud: The Druva Cloud manages storage and stores backup data. It authenticates and authorizes the incoming backup and restore requests from the Phoenix Backup Store that is deployed in your organization's IT infrastructure and redirects it to Druva Phoenix storage to fulfill the requests.
- Phoenix Management Console: The Phoenix Management Console is a web-based, unified console that provides complete visibility and a high-level understanding of the health and status of Phoenix Backup Stores that you manage, wherever the Phoenix Backup Stores reside. You can view all the Phoenix Backup Stores in your infrastructure registered with Druva Phoenix, and discover and configure mounts for backup, recovery, and data archival. This console provides administrators the ability to:
- Deploy and register Phoenix Backup Stores
- Configure mounts for backup
- Control Druva Phoenix activities by defining the retention policy and triggering restores
- Monitor backup and restore jobs, activities, and reports
- Phoenix Backup Store: The Phoenix Backup Store is an NFS server that you deploy in your organization's IT infrastructure. Druva Phoenix Backup Store is a software appliance and can be deployed on-premises or in the cloud depending on where you run your Oracle Server instance. A mount on the Phoenix Backup Store is a shared directory that serves as a target location for RMAN to store backup data. When an Oracle Database Administrator runs a backup using RMAN, RMAN creates an Oracle RMAN backup and stores it on a mount on the Phoenix Backup Store. When you deploy the Phoenix Backup Store, ensure that you configure it properly so that RMAN can access the mount. The Phoenix Backup Store also creates a snapshot of the Oracle RMAN backup and uploads it to the Druva Cloud. In addition:
- The Oracle RMAN backups stored on the Phoenix Backup Store are available for local restore.
- When a restore job is run using the Phoenix Management Console, the selected snapshot of the Oracle RMAN backup from the Druva Cloud is downloaded to a location on the Phoenix Backup Store. The Database Administrator can restore this Oracle RMAN backup to the Oracle instance.
- RMAN backup scripts: In addition, Druva Phoenix provides template scripts. The Oracle Database Administrator can:
- Run the script to start an RMAN backup job that creates an Oracle RMAN backup.
- Store the Oracle RMAN backup on the mount that is hosted on a Phoenix Backup Store.
- Modify the RMAN script to provide RMAN options such as backup options and file streams.
- Use the script as a guide to understand the Phoenix Backup Store API and how to use it to backup databases.
For more information, see:
- Quick steps to setup Druva Phoenix to backup Oracle databases
- Deploy and register a Phoenix Backup Store
- Configure Phoenix Backup Store and RMAN hosts to backup databases
- Phoenix Backup Store REST API reference
- Template shell scripts for Linux RMAN hosts
- Template batch file and RMAN script for Windows RMAN hosts