The availability of this feature may be limited based on the license type, region, and other criteria. To access this feature, contact your Druva Account Manager or Druva Support. This article/documentation is subject to change based on the continuous improvements to this feature.
Phoenix provides a robust solution that works with Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) to:
- Store the RMAN generated backup on an NFS server with Phoenix binaries installed called the Phoenix Backup Store
- Create a snapshot of the Oracle RMAN backup stored on the Phoenix Backup Store and upload it to Phoenix Cloud
Phoenix is a cloud-native solution that centralizes server and data management. It provides a cloud-based console that simplifies server registration, device setup, data backup, and data recovery.
Phoenix components for Oracle
The Phoenix solution uses cloud-side and client-side components to interact, manage, and control backups in your infrastructure. The Phoenix components are:
- Phoenix Cloud: The Phoenix Cloud manages storage and stores backup data. It authenticates and authorizes the incoming backup and restore requests from the Phoenix Backup Store that is deployed in your organization's IT infrastructure and redirects it to Phoenix storage to fulfill the requests.
- Phoenix Management Console: The Phoenix Management Console is a web-based, unified console that provides complete visibility and a high-level understanding of the health and status of Phoenix Backup Stores that you manage, wherever the Phoenix Backup Stores reside. You can view all the Phoenix Backup Stores in your infrastructure registered with Phoenix, and discover and configure mounts for backup, recovery, and data archival. This console provides Phoenix administrators the ability to:
- Deploy and register Phoenix Backup Stores
- Configure mounts for backup
- Control Phoenix activities by defining the retention policy and triggering restores
- Monitor backup and restore jobs, activities, and reports
- Phoenix Backup Store: The Phoenix Backup Store is an NFS server that you deploy in your organization's IT infrastructure. A mount on the Phoenix Backup Store is a shared directory that serves as a target location for RMAN to store backup data. When an Oracle Database Administrator runs a backup using RMAN, RMAN creates an Oracle RMAN backup and stores it on a mount on the Phoenix Backup Store. When you deploy the Phoenix Backup Store, ensure that you configure it properly so that RMAN can access the mount. The Phoenix Backup Store also creates a snapshot of the Oracle RMAN backup and uploads it to the Phoenix Cloud. In addition:
- The Oracle RMAN backups stored on the Phoenix Backup Store are available for local restore.
- When a restore job is run using the Phoenix Management Console, the selected snapshot of the Oracle RMAN backup from the Phoenix Cloud is downloaded to a location on the Phoenix Backup Store. The Database Administrator can restore this Oracle RMAN backup to the Oracle instance.
- RMAN backup scripts: In addition, Phoenix provides template scripts. The Oracle Database Administrator can:
- Run the script to start an RMAN backup job that creates an Oracle RMAN backup.
- Store the Oracle RMAN backup on the mount that is hosted on a Phoenix Backup Store.
- Modify the RMAN script to provide RMAN options such as backup options and file streams.
- Use the script as a guide to understand the Phoenix Backup Store API and how to use it to backup databases.
For more information, see:
- Quick steps to setup Phoenix to backup Oracle databases
- Deploy and register a Phoenix Backup Store
- Configure Phoenix Backup Store and RMAN hosts to backup databases
- Phoenix Backup Store REST API reference
- Template shell scripts for Linux RMAN hosts
- Template batch file and RMAN script for Windows RMAN hosts