Managing the backup and recovery of virtual machines in a distributed environment is usually a complex process involving multiple staff and a complex infrastructure. Druva Phoenix centralizes backup and recovery of globally distributed VMware environments. Phoenix offers you a viable, cost effective way of storing, managing, archiving, and recovery of your data on virtual machines that run in your infrastructure.
Phoenix provides you the following capabilities to easily backup and restore your virtual machine data:
- Easy proxy interface
- Fast configuration
- Disaster Recovery capability
Virtual machines are created and managed on VMware ESXi hosts and VMware vCenter Server. Phoenix performs image-level backups of virtual machines which are hosted on standalone ESXi hosts and ESXi hosts managed through vCenter Servers.
Phoenix components for VMware
Phoenix uses server-side and client-side components to interact, manage, and control backups in your virtual machine infrastructure.
Phoenix VMware comprises of the following components:
- Phoenix Cloud: Phoenix Cloud is the server component of Phoenix.
- Phoenix Management Console: Phoenix Management Console is a web-based, unified console that provides complete visibility and a high-level understanding of the health and status of virtual machines that you manage, wherever those virtual machines reside. It authenticates and authorizes incoming backup and restore requests from the backup proxy, installed on your VMware ESXi and vCenter servers, and redirects it to Phoenix storage for fulfilling the requests. You can globally view ESXi hosts, hypervisors or vCenter Servers located in your storage infrastructure, discover virtual machines, and configure them for backup, recovery, and archival of data. It provides Phoenix administrators ability to:
- Register and configure virtual machines for backup in their organization’s server infrastructure.
- Control Phoenix activities by defining backup policy, retention period, disaster recovery policy, and more.
- Monitor backup and recovery jobs, activities, and reports.
- Backup Proxy: Backup proxy is a client-side component which is installed on – either individually on each ESXi Hypervisor or a vCenter Server that manages your virtual machines. Backup proxy is a virtual machine that you must deploy and register for backing up and restoring virtual machines in your VMware setup. Backup proxy contains Phoenix agent, the component that performs backup and restore of virtual machines.
- Phoenix CloudCache: Phoenix CloudCache is bundled with Elite and Enterprise licenses. Phoenix CloudCache is a dedicated server that temporarily stores backup and restore data from backup proxy. At periodic intervals, Phoenix CloudCache synchronizes this data to Phoenix Cloud relaxing the bandwidth consumption in your infrastructure.
- To ensure clear understanding, we use VMware terms as defined in the VMware Technical Publications Glossary available at http://www.vmware.com/support/
- To ensure uninterrupted experience while configuring Phoenix for your VMware setup, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the VMware documentation in addition to following the VMware-specific instructions within the Phoenix documentation. The full set of instructions for VMware is available at http://www.vmware.com/support/