This article applies to:
- OS: Office 365
- Product edition: inSync Cloud
Backup of the Sharepoint folder completes with errors if there are more than 5000 files in the folder.
When there are more than 5000 files in the Sharepoint folder, the site becomes inaccessible to inSync and Microsoft blocks the backup request as a part of its Throttling Performance Policy. Hence, the files are skipped from backup.
inSync displays backup status as Successful with errors on inSync Management Console.
To verify this issue, log on to Microsoft Sharepoint Online and check whether the Sharepoint folder has more than 5000 files. Sharepoint displays the following error if the file count exceeds 5000.
To verify the Activity log for Sharepoint site on inSync Management Console:
- Log on to inSync Management Console.
- On the menu bar, click Data Sources > Cloud Apps.
- Click Office 365 > SharePoint.
- Click the site name and click the activity stream.
- Click on the blue drop-down list to download the activity log.
The Sharepoint activity log on inSync Management Console displays the following traceback.
You can use 'skipping' as the search term in the activity log.
[2017-12-03 03:02:49,288] [ERROR] Skipping backup of files/folders inside folder 2d0569c0-711a-44e7-951c-050385fe5827 at storage path /XYZ//Preservation Hold Library under site /XYZ/. Error: Number of items inside this folder are more than SharePoint Threshold. Current Files in folder: 7463
[2017-12-03 03:02:49,289] [ERROR] Error in listing at site /XYZ/Storage path /Other Entities/Preservation Hold Library. Error Number of items inside this folder are more than SharePoint Threshold. Current Files in folder: 7463 (#100000001)
[2017-12-03 03:02:49,289] [ERROR] Internal Error on server during folder list. Cloudapp Skipping folder for path: /Other Entities/Preservation Hold Library, Subsite /Other Entities/ resourceid: 2d0569c0-711a-44e7-951c-050385fe5827, error: Number of items inside this folder are more than SharePoint Threshold. Current Files in folder: 7463 (#100000001)
Since this is a Microsoft limitation:
- Call Microsoft technical support.
- Share the error mentioned in the activity log and request to extend the Throttling Policy limit.
- Verify whether backup succeeds without errors after extending the Throttling Policy limit.