This article contains instructions for configuring inSync Client to communicate with a proxy server. inSync administrators might find this article useful (below v5.4).
If your organization mandates client-server communication using a proxy server, you can configure inSync client to communicate with a proxy server. To configure inSync Client to communicate with inSync Server via a proxy server, you must modify the inSync.cfg file.
Note: Changes to inSync.cfg file can be made only after inSync client has been activated. During activation, inSync client must be able to connect to the inSync server directly. If you need to connect to proxy server even during activation, you must mass deploy proxy server configuration. For more information, see Automatic proxy configuration for inSync clients.
Before you begin:
- (Linux) Manually stop the inSyncClientGUI process.
(Windows) Manually stop the Druva inSync Client service and the inSyncClientGUI process.
(Mac) Manually stop the inSync process.
- Keep the IP address and credentials (if any) of the proxy server handy.
- The default ports used by HTTP and SOCKS5 protocols are 80 and 1080 respectively. Make sure that these ports are free. Alternatively, if you plan to use a port other than 80 or 1080, make sure that this port remains free.
To configure inSync Client to work with a proxy server:
1. Locate the inSync.cfg file.
(Windows) C:\inSync4\users\<user name>\inSync.cfg
(Mac)/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/inSync/inSync.cfg
2. Open inSync.cfg in a text editor.
3. Add the following parameters:
PROXY_SERVER = ‘<host>:<port>’ OR WPAD_URL = 'URL where the PAC file is available'
PROXY_TYPE = HTTP|SOCKS5
PROXY_USER = ‘<user name>’
PROXY_PASSWD = ‘<password>’
Note: Add the PROXY_USER and PROXY_PASSWD parameters only if you want communication between inSync Client and the proxy server to be authenticated.
Additionally,these parameters must appear on separate lines.
4. Save your changes.
5. (Linux) Manually start the inSyncClientGUI process.
(Windows) Manually start the inSyncClientGUI process and the Druva inSync Client service.
(Mac) Manually start the inSync process.