As an inSync administrator you may want a backup of your organization’s data stored on inSync Cloud. inSync’s restore and download functionalities are not very useful in such cases because you have to proceed one user at a time and spend a long time downloading large amounts of data over the Internet.
Instead, you can use inSync’s bulk export feature to have a copy of your data shipped to you in a storage medium of your choice.
This article outlines the steps you must carry out to get a copy of your data.
Note: The bulk export feature is available only for inSync Cloud customers from US and EMEA regions.
What is covered:
Overview of the Bulk Export Functionality
inSync’s bulk export functionality helps you obtain a copy of your organization’s data stored on inSync Cloud. The salient features of this functionality are:
- You can choose to export data for all inSync users or just selected inSync users of your organization
- For each selected user, you will receive data from the last snapshot of all devices
- You provide the portable storage device on which data is backed up and shipped to you
- Your data is shipped to an address of your choice
- You can choose your own password to protect your data when it is in transit
- Druva uses AWS Import/Export to ship you a copy of your data. At no point during the transfer process Druva has access to your data.
- You will have to bear the fees charged by AWS. For more information on AWS Import/Export, see http://aws.amazon.com/snowball.
Steps for Obtaining a Copy of your Data
To obtain a copy of your data from inSync Cloud, follow the steps listed below.
Step 1: Activate the bulk export form
Step 2: Place a request for bulk export
Step 3: Pay Druva for AWS Import/Export service
Step 4: Ship your portable storage device
Step 5: Accept your device with a copy of your data
Activating the Bulk Export Form
You must first activate the bulk export form on inSync Admin Console. By default, the bulk export form is not enabled.
To activate the bulk export form contact Druva Support. You can raise a support request via our Support Portal.
Placing a request for Bulk Export
You can place a bulk export request from the inSync Admin Console.
Before you begin: Make sure all the users whose data you want to export belong to the same region. If your users are distributed across regions, you must submit multiple bulk export requests, one for each region. You can use the filter by storage option on the Manage Users page on the inSync Admin Console, to find out the users who belong to the same region.
To place a bulk export request:
1. Log on to inSync Admin Console.
2. From the Manage menu, click Users. The Manage Users page is displayed.
3. Select the data that you want to export:
- To export data for all users, click Bulk Export Data > Export Data for All Users.
- To export data for selected users, select the users and then click Bulk Export Data > Export Data for Selected Users.
The Bulk Export Data window appears. It displays the amount of data you are about to export and the approximate cost you will have to bear for AWS Import/Export service.
4. Enter the requisite details:
- Password: The password will be used to encrypt your data. Remember this password.
- Shipping Address: Your data will be shipped to this address.
5. Click Place Request.
Paying Druva for AWS Import/Export Service
Once you place a support request, the Druva Support team contacts you with the charges for availing the AWS Import/Export service. Make the payment.
After you have paid for AWS Import/Export service, you will receive the following items from Druva through an email:
- A signature barcode
- A digital signature
- AWS address
The above items are required for preparing and sending your portable storage device to AWS.
Shipping your Portable Storage Device
To receive the copy of your data, you must send a portable storage device to AWS. When selecting your device, please ensure that your storage device adheres to AWS guidelines specified at http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/. Druva recommends that you send a storage device with NTFS file system.
After you have identified your portable storage device, prepare it for shipping:
- Place the digital signature at the root directory of your storage device
- Tape the signature barcode to the exterior of your storage device
Ship the device to the AWS address provided by the Druva Support team. Remember to include the device interface connectors and power supply while shipping.
Accepting your Device with a Copy of your Data
Once AWS receives your device, they load it with your data and ship it to your address. Receive the device.
- To access the data on your device, you need the ZIP Password you provided while creating the bulk export request. To extract the files use any archiving tool such as 7zip, that is capable of unarchiving large compressed files.
- The data is available on the device in the following format: username/devicename/files