This article applies to:
- Product edition: Phoenix
VM backup fails with 'Failed to find VM with UUID' error.
When a VM backup is initiated, Phoenix searches the VM in the vCenter server or ESXi host using its instance UUID. The instance UUID is stored in the Phoenix server when the VM is configured for backup. Since Phoenix fails to find the VM in the vCenter or ESXi using the same instance UUID, the backup fails.
The following can be the causes of backup failure:
- Change in the UUID of the VM after it was configured for backup.
- VM was deleted or its ESX host was removed from VC.
- VM was migrated to another ESXi (valid when the ESXi is set up as a standalone ESXi in Phoenix and VM is migrated to another host not registered with Phoenix).
[2018-11-28 15:05:23,552] [ERROR] Error <class 'inSyncLib.inSyncError.SyncError'>:Failed to find VM with UUID: *****************************(#100010001). Traceback -Traceback (most recent call last):
File "agents/vmware/vmwareAgent.py", line 890, in process_backup_start
File "agents/vmware/vmwareAgent.py", line 725, in init_backup
File "agents/vmware/vSphereAdapter.py", line 265, in get_vm_by_uuid
SyncError: Failed to find VM with UUID: *****************************(#100010001)
Determine the cause of the error in consultation with your internal VM management team and resolve the error with the any of the following solutions applicable for the error:
For change in UUID after VM was configured
Resolution: Restore the original UUID to ensure successful backup.
If VM was deleted or ESX host was removed from VC
Resolution: Disable the backup of the VM for which the UUID is missing or not available.
Do not delete the VM from Phoenix as it will delete all its snapshots.
If VM is migrated to another unregistered ESX host
Resolution: Configure vCenter to backup in Phoenix so that VMotion from one ESXi to another does not cause a backup failure.
- Log in to the Management Console.
- From the menu, go to Protect > VMware and select vCenter/ESX where the VM resides.
- Go to Configured Virtual Machines.
- Click the name of the VM for which backup needs to be disabled.
- On the Server Details page, click Disable Backup. This disables the backup of the backup set.