Possible causes for slow VMware FLR
The VM ware file level restore speed is slow
The file level restore is using VMware API’s for restore
- During file level restore the phoenix VM proxy will inject Guest OS processes on the target virtual machine used for restore
- If the below conditions are not met the Guest OS process injection fails and the restore will use VMware API’s for restore instead
NOTE : The maximum restore speed using VMware APi’s would be 2-5 GB/hr
- For Guest OS process injection below are the requirements
- Credentials must be assigned to target virtual machine for restore. This option is available during file level restore wizard
- Vmware tools must be installed and running on the target virtual machine
- Windows firewall should be disabled on the target virtual machine
- During the restore the Guest OS processes are injected in C:ProgramData folder in windows Hence the credentials used for restore should have write permissions to this folder.
- In Linux Phoenix folder is created on / partition and the the Guest OS processes are injected in it. Hence the credentials used for restore should have write permissions on / partition.
- If the firewall is enabled and user can’t disable it then add this rule "File and printer sharing"
- Add exclusion for DruvaVMwareRestoreAgent.exe in the anti-virus software
- If the count of number of files to be restored is large, the restore performance will be degraded
- Exclude the target location(folder or drive) from the antivirus