This article applies to:
- OS: vCenter
- Product edition: Phoenix
This article provides the considerations and guidelines to be followed while migrating vCenter from versions 5.5 to 6.5.
vCenter migration scenarios and considerations
Consider the following scenarios before migrating Druva Backup Proxies.
Scenario-1: When vCenter Server FQDN/IP changes
- Deploy the new vCenter backup proxy and register the new vCenter Server to the Phoenix Management Console if the FQDN/IP of the vCenter.
- Configure the VMs again to the backup set.
- The first backup will be a full backup but it will include the global deduplication when the FQDN/IP changes.
- Do not delete the old vCenter Server (visible under Manage > VMware screen), as it contains the old recovery point.
- If the backup proxy version is lower than 4.7.0, deploy a new backup proxy and register it under the same backup proxy pool. Do not deploy the proxy if its version is 4.7 or later,
Scenario-2: When the vCenter Server IP and FQDN remains same:
- Update the credentials on the UI for the certificate to update on the backup proxy. Do not deploy a new backup proxy.
- If the credentials remain same, just reboot the backup proxy.
- The next backup is a differential backup.
In both the above scenarios, there is no loss of the backup recovery point.