As an administrator, you might want to mandate SD card backup from Android devices to address the following scenarios:
- You want to mandate a backup schedule to regularly take backup of users' data on Android devices.
- You want to recover and restore user's data if the Android device is stolen or damaged.
- inSync users want to perform a factory data reset of their Android devices, which erases all data on the device.
- inSync users want to root their Android devices.
- inSync users plan to upgrade their Android firmware to the latest one.
View the Android folder hierarchy
The following images depict the common SD card contents and data structure of Android devices.
To see the SD card contents from your Android device on your computer,
- Connect your Android device to your computer by using an Android USB cable.
- On your computer, browse for your Android external hard drive.
- Open the Android external hard drive. Folders on your device, such as photos, music, video, documents are displayed.
For example, following are the Android apps and their respective folders that you want to back up:
|Android app||Location on Android device|
To see the SD card contents, on your Android device, open File Explorer > SD card. You will see a list of folders and files that are available on your device's SD card.
The SD card contents will let you choose each type of important data on your phone that must be automatically backed up. For example, you might want to back up contents such as Contacts, Photos, Download, SMS, Call Details, and so on.
Example: Mandate to back up folders from Android devices
For example, you mandate to back up the Whatsapp folder, Linkedin folder, and Dropbox folder from Android device of inSync users.
- As an administrator, you configure to mandate the back up of Whatsapp, Linked, and Dropbox folders.
For more details about how to mandate a specific folder for backup, see Mandate SD card backup on mobile devices.
When inSync users logs on to the Druva Mobile App on their Android device, they can see the folders that administrator mandated for backup on their device's SD card by navigating to Settings > Backup > Preferences.
inSync users can also see the folder that administrator mandated for backup. In this case, it is the Download, LinkedIn, and WhatsApp folders.
inSync users can also specify other folders for backup, which are not mandated by administrator already.