Recommendations is a smart service designed to identify and proactively inform administrators about the backup spends on the non-critical business data under protection (in their Druva Cloud account) and recommend necessary action to exclude it from backup and save costs.
Recommendations sits on top of Realize Storage Insights. Realize Storage Insights provides administrators detailed insights and enables them to identify whether the data under protection is critical or non-critical. However, it involves efforts and even if administrators or users decide to eliminate the non-critical data on their own, it can be an overwhelming task to get rid of all the non-critical data.
To reduce the efforts, enable faster detection of non-critical files and save costs, Druva has introduced - Recommendations. It enables administrators to -
- Effectively monitor and take real-time actions to stop the non-critical business data from being backed up
- Get unprecedented visibility into the storage and analyze the type of data under protection
- Save the storage costs by improving the content rules and backup policies
Recommendations are available for data protected using Druva Phoenix for NAS and File Servers (Windows/Linux) only.
Login into Recommendations
Recommendations is available as a service in the Druva Cloud Platform (DCP) Console. The Druva Cloud Platform is a single-place for administrators to monitor and manage all the workloads protected using Druva. For more information, see Druva Cloud Platform Console Overview.
- You must be a Druva Cloud Administrator or a Product Cloud Administrator to access Druva Realize services.
- Open a web browser.
- Access the Druva Cloud Platform Console using the URL https://login.druva.com.
After login, you are redirected to the Druva Cloud Platform Console dashboard page. For detailed information, see Introduction to Druva Cloud Platform Console.
- On the DCP dashboard, in the Products & Services section, under Realize click Recommendations.
You are redirected to the Recommendations home page
Recommendations Engine, the soul behind Recommendations, is a smart algorithm that runs once a day in the background for every NAS and File Server backup set configured for protection in Druva Phoenix.
Recommendations are automatically generated based on Recommendation Rule. Recommendations Rule defines the following:
- The file types and their extensions that are categorized as non-critical data.
- The threshold value (in percentage) when the Recommendation engine should scan the backup set and generate the Recommendations.
Recommendation Engine scans the type of data under protection, backup configuration for the backup sets and then generates Recommendations for the non-critical files that may not be useful.
For more information about Recommendation Rule and modify it based on your preference, see Settings.
Recommendations are generated per backup set and all the new recommendations are displayed under the Active tab on the Recommendations page.
Recommendations are listed in order with the backup set having the largest amount of non-critical data at the top and the least at the bottom.
The Active tab also lists the recommendations which you have viewed but have not taken action upon.
To view a recommendation,
- On the Recommendations home page, under the Active tab, look for the recommendation you are interested in.
- Click on the recommendation to explore it.
A typical recommendation looks as following:
A recommendation provide insights about the following -
- Recommendation Title - The amount of non-critical files available per backup set (in Druva Phoenix) in Druva Cloud.
- Impacted Resources - The details about the data source which holds this non-critical data.
- Non Critical Files - The details about the non-critical files such as the type of files and their extensions.
- The non-critical data growth trend in the last 30 days.
On clicking Show data insights, the following additional information is displayed (not covered in the screen grab above) -
- File Types Distribution chart, which displays the list of non-critical file types and their total size.
- Distribution by Size chart, which displays the percentage-wise distribution of non-critical files, classified based on pre-defined file size range.
- Distribution by Last Modified Date chart, which displays a graphical distribution of non-critical files based on their last modified date.
Search for a Recommendation
You can search and view a recommendation that is generated for a Backup Set or Server using their name.
By default, Recommendations are listed in order with the backup set having the largest amount of non-critical data at the top and the least at the bottom. Administrators also have the option to sort the recommendations based on the following parameters-
- Date Created - List Recommendations by date created with the latest generated recommendation at the top.
- Non Critical Data Growth - List Recommendations by the growth of non-critical data in backup sets with the largest amount at the top.
- Non Critical Data Size - The default, lists Recommendations by the non-critical data size with backup set having the largest amount of non-critical data at the top.
Acted Upon Recommendations
All the recommendations which you have taken action upon or resolved appear under the Acted Upon tab. A recommendation is resolved if you have excluded the non-critical file types from backup. For more information on resolving a recommendation, see Resolve a Recommendation.
Resolve a Recommendation
After you have viewed a recommendation and the benefit of it, you can take the recommended action and exclude the non-critical files from backup. Alternatively, you can explore various aspects related to the identified non-critical files in Realize Storage Insights and then decide your course of action.
Decide your approach and choose one of the following action -
- Exclude Non Critical Data - Choose this option if you want to view and modify the content rule policy associated with the backup set in Druva Phoenix to exclude the identified non-critical files. For more information, see Exclude Non Critical Data .
- Explore - Choose this option if you want to explore more about the non-critical data in Storage Insights using available graphs to help you with the right course of action. You can customize the filters to change the file types, their extensions, and so on. For more information, see Explore in Storage Insights.
Exclude Non Critical Files
To exclude non-critical files from backup in a backup set,
- On the Recommendations home page, under the Active tab, view a recommendation.
- After viewing the recommendation details, click Exclude Non Critical Data to view and manage the Phoenix content rule policy associated with the backup set.
- On the Exclude Non Critical Data window, select one of the following options -
- From this backup set only - To remove the non-critical file types from this backup set only. If a custom content rule, that is, backup set level content policy is associated with this backup set (Depicted by 'Custom Content' under Content Rule in this recommendation) it is updated. If a content rule is associated with this backup set, another custom content rule is created and associated with this backup set with the new file exclusion settings.
Click on the Info icon at the top-right to see the exact file types that will be excluded before confirming the action.
- From the content rule - To remove the non-critical file types from the content rule associated with this backup set. Updating the content rule also affects the backup sets to which this content rule policy is associated.
- This option is not available if the backup set for which you are viewing the recommendation has a custom content rule associated with it. Depicted by 'Custom Content' under Content Rule in this recommendation.
- This action excludes the non-critical file types from all the backup sets to which this content rule policy is associated.
- Click Confirm.
After update, non-critical file types are excluded from backup starting the next backup cycle. Also, this recommendation is then moved to the 'Acted Upon' tab.
Explore in Realize Storage Insights
Use the Explore option to view the recommendation data in graphical format. The different graphs available on Realize Storage Insights help you visualize the different aspects and enable you to take the decision on the non-critical data. All the filters based on which Recommendations are generated - Date, Data Source Type, File Types, and their extensions are displayed.
You can also modify the filters and dig deeper into the non-critical data on the data source. After applying the desired filters, you can also save the view and refer to it at a later stage and take the necessary decisions.
To explore the non-critical data and view its different aspects in a graphical format,
- On the Recommendations home page, under the Active tab, view a recommendation.
- After viewing the recommendation details, click Explore to view detailed insights about the non-critical files in Realize Storage Insights.
- View the charts and understand the spread of non-critical files. Use Filters to apply or generate a view that provides you the required analysis. For more information, see About Realize Storage Insights.
View Resolved Recommendations
All the recommendations that you have resolved, that is, marked for excluding non-critical data using the procedure mentioned in Resolve a Recommendation are moved under the Acted Upon tab.
Any recommendation listed under the Acted Upon tab can be in one of the following states -
- File exclusion in progress - Depicts that the non-critical files are currently being excluded from the backup set. Click on the Recommendation to view the progress and other details. Non-Critical Files are excluded from the content rule associated with the backup set immediately, however, file exclusion from the backup set starts when Druva Phoenix initiates the next scheduled backup.
- Resolved - Depicts that the non-critical files are removed from the backup set.