You can now transition your Amazon EBS snapshots to Amazon S3 storage classes such as Amazon S3 Standard, S3 Standard-IA, S3 One Zone-IA, S3 Glacier, and S3 Glacier Deep Archive, significantly reducing costs while retaining long-term availability.
Note: The Archive Snapshots to S3 feature is currently available only for EC2 and EBS backups.
Archiving EBS snapshots to S3 offers the following benefits:
- Cost benefits: Transitioning snapshots to lower-cost storage offers significant savings on long-term retention.
- Recovery: Seamless recovery of individual files or snapshots from S3.
- File-level search in snapshots: Metadata-based file search to locate files from the snapshots, without having to recover snapshots in S3.
Note: The Archive Snapshots to S3 feature is currently available only for EC2 snapshots and AMIs.
Manual Archive of EBS Snapshots to S3
To manually archive your EBS snapshots to Amazon S3 storage:
- Login to the Druva CloudRanger console and navigate to Backups.
- Select the snapshot that you would like to archive and then click Select Move to S3 from the drop-down menu.
- Select the backup policy to be applied to the archive.
The options available here will depend on the backup policies associated with the chosen snapshot.
Note: The snapshots will be transitioned to the storage class defined in the policy selected here.
4. Click Archive.
Once the backup is archived to S3, Druva CloudRanger deletes the original snapshot. However, any policy-based retention remains active.
Note: Selecting an AMI will also move any associated EBS snapshots to S3.
Archiving an individual snapshot with an AMI association displays the following error:
For more information about available AWS storage classes, refer to the AWS documentation.
Note: The availability of this feature may be limited based on the license type, region, and other criteria. To access this feature, contact your Druva Account Manager or Support.