This section provides information about how you can integrate your Active Directory (AD) details with your inSync setup to mass deploy inSync client for multiple users all at once. It explains the end-to-end workflow of mass deploying inSync client on user laptops. This section also provides information on how you can configure integrated mass deployment (IMD) settings and how you can generate a mass deployment token.
About integrated mass deployment
Integrated mass deployment (IMD) is an end-to-end process that involves the automated deployment of inSync client in your organization. It includes the automation of inSync client installation on all user laptops, inSync user creation, and inSync client activation on user devices. You can leverage IMD if your organization uses Active Directory to manage user access and authentication, and users in your organization use Windows or Mac laptops.
The integrated mass deployment workflow is as follows:
- As an inSync administrator, you create an AD mapping to define the filter parameters to extract user details from your AD. You also define the profile, storage, and quota that inSync must assign to these users.
- inSync Master, at the configured interval, queries the AD and caches details for all users that match the filter criteria that you specified.
- You install inSync client on user laptops using automated installation tools, such as System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) for Windows and LANDesk management solution for Mac.
- Your users log on to their laptops using their Active Directory credentials.
- The inSync client fetches user information on the laptops and sends it to the inSync Master along with the mass deployment token.
- The inSync Master fetches the user's AD information from the AD Server, such as the user's logon name, email, User Principal Name, group information, Organizational Unit, Domain.
- The inSync Master validates the information received and sends the activation response to the inSync Client. If the validation was successful, the inSync Master creates the user account and activates the inSync client for the user. If the validation was not successful, the activation fails.
IMD configuration process
The following table describes the multi-step configuration process for the integrated mass deployment (IMD) of inSync client.
Register the Active Directory from which you want to import user details. For more information, see Register your Active Directory.
Ensure that every user has their email address configured in your AD. inSync does not import users who do not have an email address configured in your AD.
Create or identify the profile to which inSync must assign the users who you are importing from your AD. For more information on creating a profile, see Create a profile.
When you are selecting the profile, ensure that you adhere to the following guidelines:
Create the AD mapping that is required to import users from your AD. For more information, see Create an Active Directory mapping for integrated mass deployment.
|Step 4||Configure the number of laptops that will be activated for a user through the IMD. For more information, see Configure integrated mass deployment settings.|
|Step 5||Generate a mass deployment token. For more information, see Generate a mass deployment token.|
|Step 6||Install inSync client on user laptops using automated installation tools. For more information, see Integrated mass deployment of inSync client.|