As an inSync administrator, you can remotely delete data from a device by using one of the following ways:
- Decommission a device: This method securely wipes out data from the inSync Share and backup folders of a user device. You can decommission a device only when inSync Master can communicate with it.
- Enable auto-delete: This method deletes data automatically from the user device if the device does not connect to inSync Master for a period that you specify.
inSync Master deletes data which is backed up or shared using inSync. You can delete the inSync data on mobile devices, and all the folders that are selected for backup on laptop and desktop.
After you decommission a device either manually or automatically, inSync Master deletes the backup data and inSync Share data from the device. For example, inSync deletes Share data such as directories, files, folders, and subfolders from the user device. However, inSync does not delete the data that is on the inSync Server.
Enable remote device deactivation for smartphones and tablets
Before you begin
Before you begin, ensure that you upload an SSL and an APN certificate on the inSync Master for iOS devices.
To enable remote device deactivation for smartphones and tablets
- On the inSync Master Management Console menu bar, click Profiles.
- Click the link of the profile for which you want to enable remote device deactivation for mobile devices.
- Click the DLP tab.
- In the DLP for Smartphones and Tablets area, click Edit. The Edit Profile window appears.
- If you want to mandate remote device deactivation for the user devices, in the Remote device deactivation list, click Mandatory. If you want users to decide whether they want to enable remote device deactivation, in the Remote device deactivation list, click Optional.
If you want to disable remote device deactivation, in the Remote device deactivation list, click Disabled.
- Click Save.
Decommission a laptop and desktop
To decommission a laptop and desktop
- On the inSync Master Management Console menu bar, click Devices > DLP.
- Under the All Devices tab, click the device that you want to decommission.
- Click Decommission.
Decommission a Smartphone or Tablet
To decommission a Smartphone or Tablet
- On the inSync Master Management Console menu bar, Devices > DLP.
- Under the All Devices tab, click the decommission activity that you want to perform, and then click Decommission.
- If you want to delete recent documents and favorites from the inSync mobile App, click Delete only inSync data on device.
Note: In this case, a push notification is sent to users' mobile devices. Users receive a prompt on their mobile devices about whether they want to allow inSync to proceed with deleting only inSync data on devices. This is regardless of whether Remote device deactivation is set to Optional or Mandatory.
Note: In this case, a notification is sent via MDM to the users' devices and so users do not receive a prompt on their mobile devices.
The time required by inSync Master to decommission a laptop and desktop depends on the size of data in the backup and share folders.