Administrators manage inSync. You can assign a role to each administrator that you create in inSync. An administrative role is a collection of individual rights. A right grants the ability to control administrator access to the inSync Master Management Console and the ability to perform tasks on the inSync Master Management Console.
Types of administrative roles
inSync includes predefined roles that contain the rights required to perform tasks on the inSync Master Management Console. You can assign these predefined roles to administrators or you can create your own roles by combining selected rights. The following table lists the types of administrator roles available in inSync.
|Predefined roles|| |
There are six predefined roles available with inSync.
For information on how you can create predefined roles, see Create a role.
|Custom roles|| |
You can create custom roles depending on your organization’s needs.
For information on how you can create custom roles, see Create a custom role.
- A role is a set of tasks that administrators can perform based on the rights assigned to them. Each role contains a set of categories, and each category contains a set of granular rights that an administrator can perform. For example, an administrator with the Manage users and devices right can disable users and devices, change storage assigned to a user, reset the password for a user, change quota for the user.
- Only the Server administrators can access the Administrators page on the inSync Master Management Console. This page is not visible to the other administrators.
- After configuring the inSync Master Management Console, six predefined roles appear on the Administrators and Roles page.
- You can assign only one role to an administrator. However, you can assign multiple administrators to one role.
- When you create a role, you can import rights from a predefined role, or you can create a new role without importing rights from any role. When you import a role, the predefined rights are imported with the role. However, you cannot import rights from the Legal Admin and Server Admin roles.
- You cannot edit or delete the Server Admin and Legal Admin roles. You can edit or delete all other predefined and custom roles.
Predefined administrator roles
The following table lists the predefined administrative roles for each inSync edition.
|Administrator Role||Available in...||Description|
|Server admin|| || |
An administrator assigned to this role can perform all core inSync activities such as configuring, managing, and monitoring inSync. A server administrator can create other administrators. Only server administrators can manage a server administrator.
|Data Protection admin|| || |
An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to manage data privacy and data access settings for the inSync users.
|Help Desk admin|| ||An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to manage day-to-day activities such as performing backup and restore operations, resetting the password for users, and addressing user complaints.|
|Legal admin|| ||An administrator assigned to this role can perform activities related to legal hold, such as creating and deleting legal hold policies, adding and removing users from legal hold, viewing and accessing backed up data.|
|Profile admin|| || |
An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to manage users and devices, and backups and restores.
|View Only admin|| || |
An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to view the inSync settings and user details. They also have access to inSync reports.