As an inSync administrator, you can exclude certain files from being synchronized across all users' devices. To specify the files to be executed, you can edit the configuration file.
How does the file exclusion work?
After you exclude certain file types from synchronization, you can:
- Disable excluded files from being synchronized across users' devices.
- Control the sync process, such that only the required files are available across all devices.
- Save space on the quota usage of the share user's account. For example, by excluding .pst files from synchronizing with the share user's account.
- Save space on the collaborator's device. For example, by excluding .pst files from synchronizing across collaborator's devices.
- Stop continuous synchronization of files that get updated regularly. For example, .url files and .eml files.
- Prevent the owner's credentials from being copied to the collaborator's synchronized folder. If the owner credentials of a shared folder is copied to the synchronized folder, then the shared data becomes inaccessible to the collaborator. For example, by excluding credDB.cef files that copies owner's credentials.
Which files are not synchronized by default?
By default, inSync Share does not synchronize the following file types:
Temporary file names
Files or folders with the following invalid prefix name list:
Temporary files created on the computer
Files or folders that with the suffix .tmp or .smp.
For example, files such as desktop.ini, .DS_Store, Icon\r, and thumbs.db.
|Files created by Dell security solution|| |
File with the name credDB.cef.
The file contains user's credential information, and is created in every folder on the computer. After synchronizing a shared folder, the credDB.cef file too is copied to the collaborator's folder. Because the owner's credentials are copied to the collaborator's synced folder, the collaborator cannot access the contents of the shared folder.
|File or folder names that include special characters||Files or folder names that contain <, >, :, ", |, ?, *, \r, \n, or ^.|
Which files are recommended to be excluded from sync?
To save space on the share user's quota usage and disk quota usage as well as to avoid continuous synchronization by inSync client, we recommend that you exclude the following file types from sync:
|File type||Description||Why to exclude|
|Microsoft Outlook data file|| |
Files with the suffix .pst.
These files are generally large in size, around 1 GB or so, and get updated regularly.
|Email files|| |
Files with the suffix .eml.
These are email files that are sent or received by a POP3 email application.
|The Windows Search Service and Indexing Service keeps modifying these files regularly, which result in large number of versions created for the same file. Additionally, the inSync client keeps on syncing these files.|
|Internet shortcut files|| |
Files with the suffix .url.
These files are used by web browsers, and get updated regularly by a few antivirus applications.
The Windows Search Service and Indexing Service keeps modifying these files regularly, which result in large number of versions created for the same file. Additionally, the inSync client keeps on syncing these files.
How to exclude files from synchronizing across devices?
As an inSync administrator, you can specify the files to be excluded from synchronization.
To exclude files from sync
- Open the inSync Server configuration file inSyncServer.cfg.
For information the file location, see inSync configuration files.
- Stop the inSync Master Configuration Server service insyncConfigServerService. For more information about the how to start and stop the inSync services, see inSync services.
- In the SHARE_ADMIN_FILE_EXCLUSIONS parameter, specify the file types that you want to exclude from synchronization.
For example, enter the following command to exclude all .url, .pst, and .eml files from sync:
SHARE_ADMIN_FILE_EXCLUSIONS = ['^.*\.url$', '^.*\.pst$', '^.*\.eml']
- The exclusion file types are case-sensitive.
- inSync follows Python's regular Expression Syntax. The Python regular expression is formed by using content inside each pair of quotes. The quotation marks and commas are not a part of Python's regular expression. For more information, see the Python documentation.
- Save the changes made to the inSync Server configuration file.
- Start the insyncConfigServerService service.
inSync stops synchronizing the specified files starting from the next inSync client backup. The backup can be either a scheduled backup or a manual backup.