You can create a global exclusion list for file types and folders that you want to exclude from inSync backups.
The inSync client excludes the files types that you specify in the global exclude list irrespective of the filters set at the folder level by the inSync administrator or the user. For example, if you do not want inSync to back up .exe files from user devices, you must add .exe to the global exclude list.
To exclude folders from the backup operations, you must specify the folder name or a relative path to the folder. For example, Personal\Finance. In Windows, you use a backward slash (\) as the separator and in UNIX and Mac, you use a forward slash (/) as the separator. However, irrespective of the operating system, the inSync client considers both formats and excludes the folders that you specify from the backup operations.
Note: Exclude path from global exclusion is not supported on mobile devices. For example, if you enter /DCIM as the exclude path, then the DCIM folder on a computer will not be backed up. However, the DCIM folder on a mobile device will be backed up.
Scenarios for excluding folders from the backup operation
You have included the Druva folder within the E drive for backup (E:\Druva>). The Druva folder includes the following subfolders:
|Scenario||Impact on the backup operation|
|In the Exclude Paths box, you specify Templates;Personal.|| |
During the backup operation, the inSync client excludes:
|In the Exclude Paths box, you specify Documents\Templates.|| |
During the backup operation, the inSync client excludes the Templates subfolder from the Druva\Documents folder.
However, the inSync client backs up the Templates subfolder from the Druva folder.
|In the Exclude Paths box, you specify E:\Druva\Templates;E:\Druva\Personal.|| |
During the backup operation, the inSync client includes the Templates and Personal subfolders as the paths are not relative to the configured folder.
Note: You can configure the global exclude list through profiles. You cannot do this on an individual user level.
To create a global exclusion list for files and folders
- On the inSync Master Management Console menu bar, click Manage > Profiles.
- Click the profile for which you want to create the global exclude list.
- Under the Laptop Backup Content tab, click Edit. The Edit Profile window appears.
- Click Global Exclusions.
- Provide the appropriate information for each field.
- In the Exclude Files box, enter the file types that you want to exclude during backup. The file extensions are automatically added to the adjacent box. If you do not see your file type, type the file extensions of those file types manually in the adjacent box. Ensure that you separate consecutive entries using a semicolon (;) and there is no white space between two entries. For example, if you want to exclude all executables and video files, enter the file types for these executables and video files in the Exclude Files box. The file extensions are automatically added to the adjacent box.
- In the Exclude Paths box, type the relative path for the folders that you want to exclude from backup. Ensure that you separate consecutive entries using a semicolon (;) and there is no white space between two entries.
- Click Save.