The backup retention policy defines the duration when inSync retains the backup data in a storage. You can restore this data later. To ensure that backup data is available for restore, you must define a retention policy for your inSync setup. After every backup, inSync saves a snapshot of the backup data to a storage. A snapshot is a point in time image of backup folders. It represents the state of the backup folders at the time of backup. The number of snapshots retained in a storage depends on the number of backups completed and the retention policy.
Note: You can configure the backup retention policy through profiles. You cannot do this on an individual user level.
inSync supports three types of backup:
- Backup: This is the backup that occurs according to the backup interval that you specified or any regular backup operation from a user device.
- Weekly backup: This is the oldest successful backup of the week. inSync considers Sunday as the first day of the week.
- Monthly backup: This is the oldest successful weekly backup of the calendar month. inSync follows the Gregorian calendar.
inSync follows the Grandfather-father-son rotation policy for its hierarchical backup strategy. The backups are treated as son. The oldest successful backup of the week graduates to the father status (weekly backup). The oldest weekly backup of the month graduates to the grandfather status (monthly backup).
Define the backup retention policy
To define the backup retention policy
- On the inSync Master Management Console menu bar, click Manage > Profiles.
- Click the link of the profile for which you want to define a backup retention policy.
- Click the Backup Policies tab.
- Under the Retention and Access Policies tab, click Edit. The Edit Profile window appears.
- Provide the appropriate information for each field.
Field Action Retain all backups Type the number of days that you want to retain all backups. Retain weekly backups Type the number of weeks that you want to retain all backups. Retain monthly backup Type the number of months that you want to retain all backups.
- Click Save.