If you do not want to automatically import users from your Active Directory (AD) at regular intervals, you can create an AD mapping and manually start the import user process at suitable intervals.
When you create users by manually importing their details from your AD, you can configure the following properties:
- Login password: You can enforce users to use their AD password to log on to inSync client or inSync Web. Alternatively, you can configure inSync to generate unique passwords for new users.
- Updating existing users: You can configure inSync to query your AD at regular intervals and deactivate users who were removed from your AD.
Manual import configuration process
The following table describes the multi-step configuration process to manually import user details from your AD at regular intervals.
|Step 1|| |
Register the Active Directory from which you want to import user details. For more information, see Register an Active Directory.
Ensure that every user has their email address configured in your AD. inSync does not import users who do not have an email address configured in your AD.
|Step 2|| |
Create or identify the profile for the users who you are importing from your AD. For more information on creating a profile, see Create a profile.
If you plan to use the AD password method for user login:
|Step 3|| |
Create the AD mapping that is required to import users from your AD. For more information, see Create an Active Directory mapping.
When creating the AD mapping, ensure that you do not select the Auto import new users check box on the inSync Configuration page of the wizard.
|Step 4||Configure the frequency at which inSync must query your AD for deleted users. For more information, see Configure the user import or sync frequency.|
|Step 5||When required, start the user import process. For more information, see Start the user import process.|
To start the user import process
- On the inSync Master Management Console menu bar, click Manage > AD Mappings.
- Click the AD mapping that you want to use to import user details.
- Click Import New Users. The Import Users Now window appears.
- Under the Select Users for Import Users tab, select the check box for each user that you want to import.
If you want to view all the users that you have selected for import, click the Selected Users tab.
- Click Import Selected Users. The list of imported users appears.
- (Optional) Send activation emails to users or download their activation keys:
- To send activation email to users, select their names and click Send Keys by Email. Users who receive the activation email can install and activate inSync client on their devices.
- To download activation keys for users, select their names and click Save Keys. You have to activate inSync client for users whose activation keys you have downloaded.
- Click Done.