This section provides information on why and when you need to upgrade inSync Client. This section also provides options on how to upgrade inSync Client in your environment and the possible upgrade paths for inSync Client.
Download inSync Client
For details about the download link to the latest version of inSync Client, see Download Links.
Why upgrade to the latest version of inSync Client?
New features are introduced in every inSync release. The new features improve the performance of inSync server and bring new capabilities under its ambit. New features and provisions are also introduced in inSync Client so that users can benefit from the enhancements introduced in inSync server. Since some of the new features can work only with the latest version of inSync Client, you are required to upgrade inSync Client to its latest version.
When should you upgrade to the latest version of inSync Client?
If your users are using an older version of inSync Client, you must upgrade inSync client to its latest version so that your users can benefit from the new and latest features rolled out in the latest inSync Client release. You must initiate inSync Client upgrade when the network traffic is likely to be minimal and when you want your users to benefit from the new and advanced features available with the latest inSync Client.
How to upgrade inSync Client?
You can upgrade inSync Client by performing an auto upgrade or a manual upgrade. The prerequisites and considerations applicable for both auto and manual upgrades are as follows:
- inSync Client window must be closed while performing an upgrade.
- inSync Client must be installed and active.
- Auto and manual upgrade cannot be performed for hand-held devices, such as mobile phones and tables. Upgrade notifications are sent to the users from their respective app stores. Users need to upgrade their inSync Client using the app store.
Note: If the devices are mapped to an older version of CloudCache Server, device upgrade fails with the following error.
You must upgrade the inSync CloudCache Server to the latest version. For more information, see Upgrade inSync CloudCache Server.
The supported upgrade methods for inSync Client are as follows:
Note: If you have deployed a headless Client on Windows, an auto-upgrade will display the inSync Client icon on your desktop. This auto-upgrade behavior will be fixed in the upcoming Client release. Contact Druva Support for assistance in upgrading headless inSync Clients.
Auto-upgrade of inSync Client is performed from inSync Management Console. Auto-upgrade can be performed only for devices running on Windows and Mac. The following points describe the change in behavior and display of inSync Client when certain settings are enabled and an upgrade is initiated:
- If you have enabled Show inSync icon in the system tray for your users, the inSync Client icon disappears from the system tray of the user device during the inSync Client upgrade and reappears when the upgrade is complete.
- If you have enabled desktop notifications for your users, the inSync Launched message appears on the user device after the inSync Client upgrade is complete.
- Devices that need client upgrade are marked with an upgradable symbol () on the Manage Devices page (Data Sources > Devices).
- For a device marked for auto-upgrade, the upgrade is triggered when you click Upgrade on the Manage Devices page. For each device the upgrade package is downloaded from the Druva website without interrupting backups.
- You can mark multiple devices for upgrade and initiate an upgrade by clicking Upgrade on the Manage Devices page.
Note: It is recommended you upgrade your devices in batches, to optimally manage your network bandwidth.
You can follow this procedure to upgrade inSync Client on one or multiple devices. To perform an auto-upgrade of inSync Client:
- Log on to inSync Management Console.
- On the menu bar, click Data Sources > Devices. The Manage Devices page is displayed with list of devices. inSync Client Version column displays the following symbols next to the client version to indicate whether inSync Client can be updated:
Client is upgradable.
Client has been upgraded successfully.
Upgrade has been scheduled.
Client cannot be upgraded.
This symbol appears for devices on which auto-upgrade is cannot be performed.
Client upgrade has failed.
This symbol is displayed whenever client upgrade has failed.
- Select one or more devices on which you want to upgrade inSync Client (marked with symbol) and click Upgrade.
inSync flags the device (indicated with symbol) for an upgrade and the upgrade is triggered when you click Upgrade on the Manage Devices page. Once inSync Client is upgraded to the latest version, a mark is displayed next to the client version in inSync Client Version column.
You can perform a manual upgrade on devices running on Windows, iOS and Linux.
To perform a manual upgrade of inSync Client, save the installer at a location from where inSync Client users can download and run the installer. You can share the installer location with your users and instruct the users to perform the following steps based on the operating system running on their respective device.
|Operating System||Upgrade Instructions|
Install the inSync client 5.9 over the existing inSync Client version.
For more information, see Install and activate the inSync Client.
Install the inSync Client 5.9 over the existing inSync Client version.
For more information, see Install and activate the inSync client.
For more information, see Install and activate the inSync client.
Upgrade inSync Client using native software management tools
If you plan to perform inSync Client upgrade on multiple devices using a software management tool used in your environment, make sure the upgrade conforms to the following considerations:
- Do not remove inSync configuration files and folders and the inSync Share folder, if you uninstall the older inSync client on the device while performing the upgrade.
- Package the inSync Client installer appropriately so that it does an in-place upgrade for the existing Windows and Mac Clients.
In-place upgrade commands:
msiexec /qn /i "<path to inSync msi>" HEADLESS="1"
Note: If you have disabled Show icon inSync icon in system tray for the selected profile, ensure that you use HEADLESS parameter in the script. If you do not use this parameter, inSync client icon will appear on the desktop after Upgrade.
Download the inSync client DMG file from the website and install it using Casper or any other configuration management tool
For more assistance in upgrading inSync Client on multiple devices, contact Druva technical support.