You can replace a laptop with another laptop that has the inSync client installed on it. After you replace a device, the inSync client backs up data from the new device and the snapshots from your previous device are associated with your new device. You can restore any snapshot from your previous device on your current device. For more information, see Restore data by using the inSync client.
For example, if you have a Windows 8 laptop on which you have installed an inSync client and your organization assigns another Windows 8 laptop to you, but you do not want multiple devices linked to your inSync account, then you can replace your existing Windows 8 laptop with your new Windows 8 laptop. Therefore, you can have only one device linked to your inSync account.
If both laptops have the same operating system, you can restore the following data on the new laptop:
- All backup data: You can restore data from the backup folders of the laptop you are replacing.
- System and application settings: You can restore system and application settings from one of the laptops already linked to your account. On a Windows laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Windows laptop. Similarly, on a Mac laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Mac laptop. See, Restore system settings.
Before you begin
Before you replace a laptop linked to your inSync account, ensure the following:
- You have your inSync account activation email handy for the Server URL details.
- You have the password for your inSync account.
- If this is the first device on which you are activating inSync, use the password that is included in the activation email.
- If you are using your Active Directory credentials to activate inSync, then use your Active Directory password.
- If you are using your single sign-on credentials to activate the inSync client, then leave the Password box empty.
- You are logged on to your new laptop using your own credentials.
- You have the proxy server details. You require proxy server details only if the inSync client has to contact the inSync Server through a proxy server.
To replace a laptop linked to your inSync account
- Install the inSync client. For more information, see Install the inSync client.
- Double-click inSync icon. The Activate Your inSync window appears.
|Windows & Mac||Ubuntu & CentOS|
- Select the appropriate inSync edition from the drop-down box
Note: If you want to know the inSync edition that your organization is using, contact your administrator.
- If your organization is using the inSync On-premise edition, select On-premise.
- If your organization is using the inSync Cloud edition, select inSync Cloud.
- If your organization is using GovCloud, select inSyncGovCloud.
Note: For Ubuntu 5.9.2, the user interface is updated with an enhanced layout. For more details, see inSync Client 5.9.2 and later User Interface Enhancement and Release notes.
- Provide the appropriate information for each field.
Field Action Type the email address for your inSync account. Password
Type the password for your inSync account.
If you are using single sign-on credentials for your inSync account, keep the Password box empty. After you click Activate, a window appears. Type your single sign-on password in that window.
- (Optional) If the inSync client must contact the inSync Server through a proxy server, you are prompted to enter the proxy server details. For more information, see Configure proxy settings during activation.
- Click Activate. The Activation Options window appears.
|Windows & Mac||Ubuntu & CentOS|
Note: If the same device name already exists (the same device name was already activated for your username in inSync at an earlier point in time), inSync replaces the old device with the new device automatically. In such case, the following window appears.
Proceed to step 8.
- Click Replace my Existing Device, and then click Continue.
- In the Select device to replace box, click the laptop you want to replace.
- If you want to restore all backed up data, select the All backup data check box.
- If you want to restore system and application settings, select the System and application settings check box. This check box appears only if your inSync administrator has enabled system and application settings for you. You must restart your laptop after your system and application settings are restored.
- Click Continue.
Note: For Ubuntu 5.9.2, the user interface is updated with an enhanced layout. For more details, see inSync Client 5.9.2 and later User Interface Enhancement, Release notes.