If your inSync administrator permits, you can have multiple laptops linked to your inSync account. inSync will back up data from all these laptops. If you have inSync Share, contents inside the inSync Share folder on all the linked laptops are always in sync.
To add more laptops to your inSync account, you must install and activate inSync on all your laptops. When you activate inSync, you can select to restore the following data from one of the existing laptops:
- All backup data: You can restore data from the backup folders of one of the laptops already linked to your account.
- System and application settings: You can restore system and application settings from one of the laptops already linked to your account. On a Windows laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Windows laptop. Similarly, on a Mac laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Mac laptop. Restore of system and application settings for a Linux laptop is not supported. See, Restore system settings.
Before you begin
Before you add a new laptop to your inSync account, ensure the following:
- You have installed and activated inSync on at least one laptop.
- You have your inSync account activation email handy for the Server URL details.
- You have the latest password for your inSync account.
- You are logged on to your new laptop using your own credentials.
- You have the proxy server details. You require proxy server details only if inSync has to contact inSync Master through a proxy server.
To add a new laptop to your inSync account
- Install inSync. For more information, see Install inSync.
- Double-click inSync icon. The Activate Your inSync window appears.
- Provide the appropriate information for each field.
Field Action Server URL Type the URL to access inSync Master. Type the email address for your inSync account. Password Type the password for your inSync account.
- Click Activate. If inSync must contact inSync Master through a proxy server, you are prompted to enter the proxy server details. For more information, see Configure proxy settings during inSync activation.
- Click Add as New Device, and then click Continue. A dialog box prompts you whether you want to restore data after activation. If you click No, inSync is activated. Backup from the new laptop starts. If you click Yes, options to restore data appears.
- In the Select device to restore data from box, click the laptop from which you want to restore data. The selected laptop must have the same operating system as your new laptop.
- If you want to restore all backed up data, select the All backup data check box.
- If you want to restore system and application settings, select the System and application settings check box.
- Click Continue.
- Restart your laptop after your data is restored.