This topic explains how to restore data using inSync client. It also contains instructions on viewing the restore queue and canceling restore activities.
About restoring data
Everytime data is backed up from inSync, a snapshot of the backup folders is created on inSync server. The snapshot contains the list of files and folders that was present in your device at the time of the backup. You can restore any file or folder from any of your snapshots to any of your devices.
You can restore data to:
- The desktop of any of your devices.
- A custom location of any of your devices.
- The original location on the device from which it was backed up.
If you restore files to the desktop or a custom location, a folder named according to the time of the restore is created. This folder contains the restored files. If you restore files to the original location, existing files with the same name is overwritten.
You can initiate multiple restore requests to a device. All restore are added to a queue and are completed sequentially. If the device you are restoring data to is not connected to the inSync server, all restore activities to that device are put on hold and start as soon as the device connects to inSync server. Similarly, if a restore activity is interrupted, it is put on hold and it resumes as soon as the issue is resolved.
To restore data using inSync client
- On the action bar, click Restore. The Restore window appears.
- From the Devices list, select the device from which you want to restore data. List of snapshots from the device is displayed.
- From the Snapshots list, select the snapshot from which you want to restore data. Files and folders backed up with the snapshot are displayed.
- Browse and select the files and folders that you want to restore, and then click Restore to Device. The Restore to Device window appears.
- From the Restore to device list, select the device to which you want to restore data.
- Select the location where you want to restore data:
- To restore data to the desktop of the selected device, select Desktop.
- To restore data to its original location on the device it was backed up from, select Original Location.
- To restore data to a custom location, select Custom location and then specify the path.
- Click OK.
Viewing restore queue
To view the restore queue
- On the restore bar, click View Details.
The Restore Details window appears. It lists the queued restore activities along with the ongoing and the recently completed ones.
Note: The restore bar is visible at the bottom of the Restore window or the Restore page as long a there is at least one restore in queue.
Cancelling restore activities
You can cancel restore activities that are in progress or are in the queue.
To cancel restore activities
Status of file metadata after restore
inSync restores the following metadata about the files when they are restored to their original location.
| || || |
If a file is restored to a custom location, none of the metadata (except HFS+ extended attributes for Mac) are restored.