This section explains how to configure files and folders for backup.
Note: You can add files and folders for backup only if the inSync administrator has assigned you the rights to modify the backup folders.
About including files and folders for backup
Any folder on your device from which data is backed up using inSync is called backup folder. The inSync administrator configures the folders that will be backed up from your device. When configuring, the administrator can make a folder mandatory to back up.
If the administrator gives you permission, you too can select files and folders that you want inSync to backup. You can also remove non-mandatory folders from the backup list. For each folder that you configure, you can also select the files of file types that will be backed up from the folder.
Including files and folders for backup
To include files and folders for backup
- On the Summary page, click the +Add icon. The Add Backup Folder window appears.
- Select the folder that you want to back up. You can select a folder from the Quick Configuration list or by browsing your computers folder hierarchy on the window.
- Click Next. The list of files and folders inside the selected folder appears.
- Select the files or folders that you want to back up. For information of the effect of your selection, see Effect of your selection on backup.
- Click Add.
The selected files and folders are added for backup.
Effect of your selection on backup
Your selection has the following effect on backup:
- All files and folders inside a selected folder are backed up unless you had explicitly deselected some of them. Even hidden files and folders are backed up.
- Any new content you add to a folder that was selected for backup is backed up.
- If you exclude a parent folder from backup, content added to the parent folder are not considered for backup. If you want these to be backed up, add them separately.
- Any content that matches the administrators exclude criteria is not backed up.
Configuring backup settings for a selected folder
By default, all files from a selected folder are backed up. However, you can configure a folder to include or exclude certain files or file types.
To configure the backup settings for a selected folder
- On the Summary page click the configuration icon () next to the folder that you want to configure. The Edit Backup Folder window appears.
- If you do not want to include all files in the folder for backup, select No. Additional fields are displayed.
- Clear the file types that you want to exclude from backup.
- To edit individual file types and common exclude paths, click Advanced Settings. The Advanced Settings window appears.
- Modify the details as follows and then click Ok:
- Add the file type, or file, that you want to be backed up in the Included extensions field. Separate consecutive entries using a semicolon (;). Entries in this field supersede the entries in the Excluded extensions field.
- Add the file type, or file, that you don't want to be backed up in the Excluded extensions field. Separate consecutive entries using a semicolon (;).
- Add path to folders inside the selected folder that you do not want to back up in the Excluded paths field.
- Click Save.