Understanding data restore
When inSync client backs up data from your device, a snapshot of the backup data is created on the inSync server. The snapshot contains a list of files and folders that were backed up. You can restore a file or folder from any snapshot to any of your devices.
You can restore data to:
- The desktop of your devices.
- A custom location on your devices.
- The original location on the device from which it was backed up.
If you restore files to the desktop or a custom location, the restored folder name contains the timestamp of the restore. If you restore files to the original location, existing files with the same names are overwritten.
You can initiate multiple restore requests to a device. Restores are added to a queue and are completed sequentially. Restores to a device not connected to the server start only when the device establishes a connection with the inSync server. Similarly, interrupted restores resume upon the device connecting to the inSync server.
To restore data
- On the action bar, click Restore.
- From the Devices list, select the device from which you want to restore data.
- From the Snapshots list, select the snapshot from which you want to restore data.
- Select the files and folders that you want to restore, and then click Restore to Device.
- From the Restore to device list, select the device to which you want to restore data.
- Select the location where you want to restore data:
- To restore data to the desktop of the selected device, select Desktop.
- To restore data to its original location on the device it was backed up from, select Original Location.
- To restore data to a custom location, select Custom location and then specify the path.
- Click OK.
Viewing restore queue
To view restore queue
- On the restore bar, click View Details.
The Restore Details window appears with a queue of restore activities.
Note: The restore bar is visible at the bottom of the Restore window or the Restore page provided there is at least one restore in queue.
Cancelling restore activities
To cancel restore activities
Status of file metadata after restore
inSync restores the following metadata athe time of restore to their original location.
| || || |
Note: If a file is restored to a custom location, only HFS+ extended attributes on a Mac computer is restored.