If your inSync administrator permits, you can have multiple laptops linked to your inSync account. The inSync client will back up data from all these laptops. If you have inSync Share, contents inside the inSync Share folder on all the linked laptops are always in sync.
For example, if you have a Windows 8 laptop on which you have installed an inSync client and your organization assigns another Windows 8 laptop to you, then you can install an inSync client on it and add this new laptop to your inSync account. Therefore, you can have two devices linked to your inSync account. You can also access the restore data for both the devices.
To add more laptops to your inSync account, you must install and activate the inSync client on all your laptops. When you activate the inSync client, you can select to restore the following data from one of the existing laptops:
- All backup data: You can restore data from the backup folders of one of the laptops already linked to your account.
- System and application settings: You can restore system and application settings from one of the laptops already linked to your account. On a Windows laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Windows laptop. Similarly, on a Mac laptop, you can restore system and application settings from another Mac laptop. See, Restore system settings.
Before you begin
Before you add a new laptop to your inSync account, ensure the following:
- You have installed and activated the inSync client on at least one laptop.
- You have your inSync account activation email handy for the Server URL details.
- You have the password for your inSync account.
- If this is the first device on which you are activating the inSync client, use the password that is included in the activation email.
- If you are using your Active Directory credentials to activate the inSync client, then use your Active Directory password.
- If you are using your single sign-on credentials to activate the inSync client, then leave the Password box empty.
- You are logged on to your new laptop using your own credentials.
- You have the proxy server details. You require proxy server details only if the inSync client has to contact the inSync Server through a proxy server.
To add a new laptop to your inSync account
- Install the inSync client. For more information, see Install the inSync client.
- Double-click inSync icon. The Activate Your inSync window appears.
- Provide the appropriate information for each field.
Field Action Server URL
Type the URL to access the inSync Server.
- If your organization is using the inSync On-premise edition, in the Server URL box, type the server URL of the inSync Server.
- If your organization is using the inSync Cloud edition, select the Use inSync Cloud check box.
- If your organization is using GovCloud, in the Server URL box, type govcloud.druva.com.
Note: If you want to know the inSync edition that your organization is using, contact your administrator.
Type the email address for your inSync account. Password
Type the password for your inSync account.
If you are using single sign-on credentials for your inSync account, keep the Password box empty. After you click Activate, a window appears. Type your single sign-on password in that window.
- (Optional) If the inSync client must contact the inSync Master through a proxy server, you are prompted to enter the proxy server details. For more information, see Configure proxy settings during inSync activation.
- Click Activate. The Activation Options window appears.
- Click Add as New Device, and then click Continue. A dialog box prompts you whether you want to restore data after activation. If you click No, the inSync client is activated. Backup from the new laptop starts. If you click Yes, options to restore data appears.
- In the Select device to restore data from box, click the laptop from which you want to restore data. The selected laptop must have the same operating system as your new laptop.
- If you want to restore all backed up data, select the All backup data check box.
- If you want to restore system and application settings, select the System and application settings check box. This check box appears only if your inSync administrator has enabled system and application settings for you. You must restart your laptop after your system and application settings are restored.
- Click Continue.