You can change the location of the inSync Share folder at any time. This is helpful when the drive containing the inSync Share folder has low disk space. When you want to change the location of the inSync Share folder on your laptop, consider the following:
- Changing the folder location does not affect the share status of files, folders, or links.
- Changing the folder location does not affect the location of the inSync Share folder on your other laptops.
If you change the location of the inSync Share folder during an ongoing synchronization, the sync process halts temporarily, and then resumes after the location of the inSync changes.
Note: If you reactivate the inSync client after you update the location of your inSync Share folder, the inSync Share folder remains at the updated location that you specified.
Before you begin
Before you change the location your inSync Share folder, ensure the following:
- You have write permissions on the new location. On a shared laptop, we recommend that you change the location where only you have access permissions. The inSync Share folder inherits access rights of the parent directory.
- The new location does not have a folder called inSync Share.
- The new location has space to accommodate inSync Share.
- The new location is not a sub-directory of the existing inSync Share folder.
- The new location is not on a removable media or a network drive.
Note: After you update the inSync Share folder location, the shortcuts to the inSync Share folder are also updated and the inSync Share folder from the original location is deleted.
To update the inSync Share folder location
- Start the inSync client.
- On the left navigation panel, click Preferences.
- Click the Share tab.
- Click Change Path.
- On the prompt window, click Yes to proceed. The Select Folder window appears.
- Select a location for the inSync Share folder, and click Select.
- The time required for changing the location of the inSync Share folder depends on how much data the folder contains. During location change, do not modify files residing in the original or new location.
- A change of location does not complete if you shut down your laptop. Ensure that you do not shut down your laptop during a location change operation.
- Modifications to access control permissions on the inSync Share folder during location change are not reflected in the new location. Similarly, file encryption is also not reflected. After location change, reapply access control permissions and encryption.
- On Windows and Mac, wait for a few minutes for the change to get reflected. If you do not see overlay icons, restart your laptop.
- Overlay icons are not displayed on Linux laptops. We have not released a new version of the inSync client for Linux in inSync 5.4.2. You can continue using inSync client 5.4 for Linux with inSync Server 5.4.2. For more information, see Update the location of the inSync Share folder.