This topic contains questions that one can ask while planning their inSync deployment.
Frequently asked questions
Where do I install the inSync server?
You can install the inSync server at your data center. At the time of installation, ensure that you configure your firewalls such that inSync clients installed on user devices can access the inSync server. If you are using storages such as Storage Area Network (SAN) or Network-attached Storage (NAS), ensure they connect with the inSync server.
How many storages do I create?
The number of storages that you need depend on your requirements and your organization's policies. For example, if it is your organization's policy that higher management data must be stored separately from the rest of the organization's data, you need to create two storages - one for the higher management and one for the rest of the organization.
However, keep the restriction on the size of storage in mind. The sum of all storages cannot be more than 64 TB.
Note: Druva recommends that you create the least number of storages. inSync's superior deduplication ensures that your storage is used optimally, while ensuring efficient data backup. To ensure an efficient backup performance, make sure that the size of these storages is optimal.
What should be the size of each storage?
The storage size of each storage depends upon factors such as:
- The number of users backing up data
- The average data backed up by users
- The daily incremental change in user data
- The type of data backed up
- The retention policy of the organization
Using the ROI calculator
The Druva ROI calculator provides an estimate of the size of storage that you will require for your deployment.
When you provide your data-specific requirements to the ROI calculator, the storage savings graph displaying the storage utilized by inSync for a 64-week period appears. You can consider this size as the size of storage you require.
For example, you need approximately 15 TB of storage for the following specifications:
- Number of users - 1000
- Average data per device - 10 GB
- Type of data on device - Majorly emails
- Daily incremental data on devices - 2%
- Data retention policy - 90 days
- Percentage of remote/mobile users - 40%
Note: The ROI calculator is available at: http://www.druva.com/insync/roi-calculator/.
Note: It is important that you choose the right amount of storage space. Underestimating your storage requirements will hamper backup performance. For an accurate calculation of how much storage space you need, write to Druva Support at email@example.com.
How many data volumes should I create for each storage?
Data volumes are discrete units of storage space that can be added to existing storage. You can keep on increasing the size of the storage by adding data volumes to it. However, there are restrictions. You cannot have more than 10 data volumes for each storage, and the sum of all storages cannot be more than 64 TB.
Although data volumes give you the ability to create scalable storages, you must keep in mind your final requirements when creating a storage. When creating a storage, apart from the data volume, you must also create a database folder and a database log folder. The database folder must be at least 5% of data stored. While you can increase the space required for data by adding data volumes, you cannot increase the space allotted to the database folder. Therefore, planning for the right storage size is essential.
How many profiles should I create?
A profile is a container of configurations that are applicable for a set of users. The configuration set in a profile is applied to all users assigned to that profile. In order to decide on the number of profiles to be created, you need to first identity the group of users that have similar requirements in your organization. You can create a profile for each group of users with similar requirements.
How do I deploy inSync client on user devices?
You can choose one or a combination of the following ways to deploy inSync client on all computers in your organization:
- Create user accounts through the inSync Admin Console and send them account activation emails. The email will contain their inSync account password and the URL to download inSync client. The users can install and activate inSync client on their own.
- Create user account through inSync Admin Console and download their authentication keys. You must then install and activate inSync client on each user's device.
- If your organization uses Active Directory for user authentication, you can mass deploy inSync client. inSync client will be automatically activated when the user logs on to their computer.
Note: The above options are applicable for deploying inSync client on user computers and not for mobile devices. On mobile devices, only the user can install and activate inSync client.