Before you begin
Make sure that:
- The profile that you want to assign to the users is created.
- The storage on which data from the user devices will be backed up is created and ready to use.
- A CSV file containing the display names of the users and their corresponding email addresses is created.
Guidelines for creating the CSV file
If you are creating the CSV file using any text editing tool, adhere to the following guidelines:
- The first line in the CSV file should be Username, Email. The entry in the first line is not imported.
- Use one of the following formats to define the username: John Doe, "John Doe", or "Doe, John". Do not use Doe, John (a comma separating the name, but without the double quotes) to define the username.
- Make sure that the CSV file does not have any non-braking space (Unicode U+00A0) in it.
- Preferably use only ASCII characters in the CSV file. If you have to use non-ASCII chracters, make sure you use UTF-8 encoding when saving the CSV file.
The CSV import wizard contains a sample CSV file. You can download the file, open it in Microsoft Excel, or any other spreadsheet application, replace the sample usernames and emails with your organization's usernames and emails, and then upload the modified file.
To create users
- On the menu bar, click Manage > Users.
- Click Import > Import from CSV. The CSV Import wizard appears.
- Browse and select the CSV file that contains the user details. User information in the CSV file is displayed on the wizard.
- Select the users that you want to import, and then click Next.
- Select the profile, storage or storage pool, and quota for the users, and then click Next. If you select a storage pool, you have the option to select the preferred storage from the pool.
- (Optional) Send activation emails to users or download their activation keys:
- To send activation email to users, select their names and click Send Passwords By Email.
- To download activation keys for users, select their names and click Save Keys.
- Click Done.
Note: Users who receive the activation email can install and activate inSync client on their devices. You have to activate inSync client for those users whose activation keys you have downloaded.
You may even decide not to send activation emails or download activation keys for select users when importing their details from the CSV file. In such cases, you can send activation email to the users later by resetting their password. Or, you can activate inSync client on user devices later.