This topic contains questions that one can ask while planning their inSync deployment.
Frequently asked questions
Where do I install the inSync server?
You can install the inSync server at your data center. Be sure to configure your Firewalls so that inSync clients installed on user devices can access the inSync server. If you are using storages such as SAN or NAS, ensure they are networked to the inSync server.
How many storages do I create? What should be the size of each storage?
The actual number of storages that you should create will depend on your requirements and your organization's policies. For example, if it is your organization's policy that the top management's data must be stored separately from the rest of the organization's data, you will have to create two storages - one for the top management and one for the rest of the organization.
Note: We recommend that you create the least number of storages. This helps you take advantage of inSync's data deduplication abilities and save space on your storage.
The storage size of each storage depends upon various factors. Some of them are:
- The number of users backing up their data on the storage.
- The average data each user is expected to back up.
- The daily incremental change in data for each user.
- The type of data being backed up.
- The retention policy of the organization.
To get a rough estimate of the required size of a storage, use our ROI calculator at: http://www.druva.com/insync/roi-calculator/. After filling up the data when you click View Savings, a storage savings graph is displayed. The storage space utilized by inSync at the end of 64-week period is the size of storage you require.
For example, you need approximately 15 TB of storage space for the following requirement:
- Number of users - 200
- Average data per device - 5 GB
- Type of data on device - Majority emails
- Daily incremental data on devices - 2%
- Data retention policy - 90 days
- Percentage of remote/mobile users - 40%
Note: It is important that you choose the right amount of storage space. Underestimating your storage requirements will hamper backups from user devices. For an accurate calculation of how much storage space you need, send an email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many profiles do I create?
A profile is a container of configurations that are applicable for a set of users. The configuration set in a profile is applied to all users assigned to that profile. In order to decide on the number of profiles to be created, you need to first identity the group of users that have similar requirements in your organization. You can create a profile for each group of users with similar requirements.
How do I deploy inSync client on user devices?
You can choose one or a combination of the following ways to deploy inSync client on all computers in your organization:
- Create user accounts through the inSync Admin Console and send them account activation emails. The email will contain their inSync account password and the URL to download inSync client. The users can install and activate inSync client on their own.
- Create user account through inSync Admin Console and download their authentication keys. You must then install and activate inSync client on each user's device.
- If your organization uses Active Directory for user authentication, you can mass deploy inSync client. inSync client will be automatically activated when the user logs on to their computer.
Note: The above options are applicable for deploying inSync client on user computers and not for mobile devices. On mobile devices, only the user can install and activate inSync client.