Why register an AD?
If you want to use an Active Directory (AD) to manage your inSync users, you must first register it. By registering an AD your provide the requisite details to the inSync Server to access the AD. inSync Server requires read only access to the AD so that it can fetch the requisite user details from the AD.
You can register an AD with inSync by registering either of the following:
- Global Catalog Server of the AD
- Domain Controller of the AD
Registering a global catalog server is advantageous for organizations whose offices are geographically distributed. This gives you the facility to import users from different domains to the same profile. Registering a domain controller is advantageous for smaller organizations office at a single location.
Before you begin
To register an AD, you need the following information about it:
- Host name of the server where the Global Catalog Server or the Domain Controller of the AD is available.
- Port number required to access the AD.
- If you are registering using domain controller details, the port number to use is 636 for secure and 389 for non-secure connection.
- If you are registering using global catalog server details, the port number to use is 3289 for secure and 3268 for non-secure connection.
- Username and password required to access the AD. Only read access to the AD is required.
To register an AD
- On the menu bar, click Manage > Settings.
- Click the AD Accounts tab.
- Click Register AD Account. The Register AD Account window appears.
- Enter the following details:
- Host name of the server where the global catalog or the domain controller is available.
- Port number required to access AD.
- Username and password required to access AD.
- If you want to access AD on an HTTPS connection, select Use Secure Connection.
- Click Ok.
The AD is registered.