This topic explains the process of mass deploying inSync client on user laptops and desktops.
The mass deployment process
If you mass deploy inSync client in your organization, the users will not have to install and activate inSync client on their computers. Their inSync account will be automatically activated when they log on to their computers. Mass deployment is not applicable for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets.
To successfully mass deploy inSync client, the following two conditions must be satisfied:
- Your organization uses Active Directory (AD) to authenticate user login.
- Users in your organization use Windows or Mac computers. inSync client cannot be mass deployed on Linux computers.
Step 1: Select the type of mass deployment you want to implement
There are two types of mass deployment you can implement:
- Activate only the first device of a user: Your user may be logging on to multiple computers in your organization. However, inSync client will be automatically activated only on the first computer the user logs on to. For all subsequent computers, the user will have to activate inSync client by providing his email ID and password as stored in the AD.
- Activate all devices of a user: inSync client will be automatically activated on all computers in your organization that the user logs on to.
To select the type of mass deployment:
- On the menu bar, select Manage > Settings.
- Click the AD Accounts tab.
Under Mass Deployment for AD, click Edit. The edit window appears.
- Select the type of mass deployment you want to implement:
- If you want inSync client to be activated only on the first computer that the user logs on to, select Activate first device only during deployment.
- If you want inSync client to be activated on all computers that the user logs on to, CLEAR Activate first device only during deployment.
- Click Ok.
Step 2: Create AD Mappings
By creating AD mappings you inform inSync of the criteria to select a set of users from an AD so that a specific profile and storage can be assigned to them. Each AD mapping corresponds to a particular set of users.
Note: If you want to mass deploy inSync client for multiple sets of users, you must create multiple AD mappings. For example, you want to mass deploy inSync client for the Finance and the Development teams in your organization. But members of both teams are assigned to two different profiles. You must therefore create two separate AD mappings - one to create inSync users for the Finance team, other to create inSync users from the Development team.
Step 3: Configure user profiles
You must ensure that inSync access for the users created for mass deployment can be authenticated through the AD. If you do not select the use of AD to authenticate user's inSync access, users will not be able to:
- Activate inSync client on any other computer except the first.
- Log on to inSync companion app for mobile devices.
- Log on to inSync Web.
This feature to authenticate user's inSync access through an AD is controlled through the profiles.
Step 4: Generate a mass deployment token
The mass deployment token is required as an input while mass-installing inSync client on user computers.
To generate the mass deployment token:
- On the menu bar, click Manage > AD Mappings.
Click Mass Deployment Token. The Mass Deployment Token window appears.
- If you want to set an expiry date for the token, select Enable Expiry Date and specify the date.
- Click Create New Token.
The mass deployment token is displayed. Copy the token in a text file and save it. You will need the token when mass-installing inSync client on user computers.
Step 5: Mass-install inSync client
You can use any automated installation tools to install inSync client on all user computers in your organization. For example, to install inSync client on all Windows computers in your organization, you can use System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) or Active Directory (A.D). Similarly, to install inSync client on all Mac computers in your organization, you can use LANDesk management solution.
Mass installing inSync client on Windows
To mass-install inSync client on Windows
- Using an automated installation tool install inSync client on the Windows computers in your organization. When installing, use the following command:
msiexec /qn /i '<path to inSync msi>' TOKENV2='<mass deployment token>' SERVERLIST=<IP address of inSync Server>:<Backup/sync port>
msiexec /qn /i 'C:\inSync5.2r17621<2349>.msi' TOKENV2='5-766a7c3b6cff78d3f167ad6128575145' SERVERLIST=192.168.53.142:6061
Mass installing inSync client on Mac
Before you begin:
- Make sure that the Mac computers on which you are installing inSync client are added to your organization's domain.
- Add the following lines of code in a text file and save it as inSyncConfig.ini.
ADDRESS = '<IP address of inSync Server>:<Backup/sync port>' TOKEN = '<mass deployment token>'
To mass-install inSync client on a Mac
- Using an automated installation tool, install inSync Client on the Mac computers in your organization.
- Copy the inSyncConfig.ini file to the /Library/Application Support/inSync folder of the Mac computers.
Note: The inSyncConfig.ini file must be copied to the System Library of the Mac computers and not any user's Library.
Step 6: (Non-automatic) Importing user details from AD
This step is required only if you have NOT selected Auto create/update users when creating the AD mapping in Step 2. In such cases, this step has to be repeated everytime new users are added to the AD.