This topic explains how Active Directories are used in inSync and how to register them with inSync.
Use of Active Directory
Active Directory (AD) is a directory service implemented by Microsoft for Windows domain networks. It can be used to authenticate and authorize all users and computers in a Windows domain type network. An AD can be used to create and authenticate users in inSync.
You can configure multiple ADs to work with your inSync deployment.
Registering an Active Directory
The first step to use an AD with inSync is to register it. By registering an AD, you inform the inSync server how to access it.
Before you begin: You must gather the following information about the AD that you want to register:
- Host name of the computer on which the AD is installed.
- Port number required to access the AD.
- Username and password required to access the AD.
To register an AD
- On the menu bar, click Manage > Settings.
- Click the AD Accounts tab.
- Under Register AD Account, click Register AD Account. The Register AD Account window appears.
- Enter the following information about the AD you want to register:
- Host: Enter the host name of the computer on which the AD is installed.
- Port: Enter the port number through which the AD can be accessed.
- Username: Enter the username required to access the AD.
- Password: Enter the password required to access the AD.
- Use secure connection: Select it if you want to use SSL to access the AD.
- Click Ok.
The AD is registered.